585,591 active members*
2,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Options for 2 Axis Head (to make 5 axis)

Options for 2 Axis Head (to make 5 axis)

Hi Folks,
    I have a DIY 3 Axis gantry milling machine. Im looking at building a new one, and was wondering what 2 Axis Heads are available so i can make a 5 Axis Milling Machine. (3 Axis' on gantry and 2 rotational on the head).

There are a few available at the top end of town. PDSColombo being an example. http://www.pdscolombo.com/fiveaxis_wood.htm

Does anyone know of any 2 axis heads they can recommend that are consistent in price/accuracy/speed etc to use on a DIY 8'x4' router...and at what price.

Any advise would be appreciated.

cheers
    Andrew

Andrew,

Take a look at the head being offered at the following site. I thought you might find it interesting... www.5-axis.com.

Cheers!
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Have a look at http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm I understand Rab has a contact who sells these heads at a pretty reasonable price.

Where in Oz are you?

Cheers
    Splint

Thanks for the replies...
    The one from 5-axis looks like a nice unit, although i read somewhere that it is around 100k..which is a little bit on the expensive side for me.

This one looks like the go....http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm if its for sale...I will email and find out

As for where i am in Australia...Im in Melbourne,

What about you Splint?

cheers
    Andrew

Ive got an old radial arm saw on which the saw will turn 180 deg in Z and 180 in Y.

I have dreams of suspending it from a gantry.
    have to sort out motor placement etc..

these must be findable - I paid $50

I/we have Just finished a basic Jgro so its a long road

pss also based in melbourne

I,m just down the road at Geelong. I would like one day to make a 5 axis, must get my 3 axis done first though.

Cheers
    Splint

I missed the BBQ held in Melbourne recently...

if there is some interest a few locals are welcome to drop past my place some time in yarraville....I have a working 3 axis cnc mill that was DIY and works brilliantly...

I also have a number of components that may help jump start someone else trying to get theirs working.

Maybe we can put our heads together on the 5 axis head

Let me know if there is interest and i can send out contact details

cheers
    Andrew