585,589 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

13x40 Jet Lathe CNC conversion with vfd

I wanted to start a new thread to document conversion of my Jet 13x40 lathe. Most of this should translate to similar size lathes like the PM lathes etc. and I hope it will be of help to anyone considering it. I am basically building off of the lessons learned from successfully converting my PM45M mill to CNC.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...g-factory.html

My Jet mill suffered another crash last year and completely lost threading capabilities on what was a decent machine. Instead, I am converting it to a gang or turret style cnc lathe with vfd and controlled by Mach 3.

I started by taking off the lead screws, x axis compound etc off. All of this goes away with a cnc conversion and I will use a pendant to control it. There is no reason to have cranks and they just get in the way.
    Initial mockup. Note the compound goes away:
    Attachment 237564

The servo will go underneath with timing gears to run it.

I was able to pick up a 2.5"x 10" x 13" piece of 7075 tooling plate from the scrap pile at industrial metal supply. It will replace the compound and shelter the ballscrew from shards etc and be a rigid platform for a turret or gang setup.

Next I had to machine the saddle to make where I would mount the ballscrew perfectly parallel to the surface on the dovetail. This setup took several hours to get it aligned but I was able to use it to flatten the saddle and also drill the holes to mount the ballscrew:

Attachment 237566

I made ballnut mount via cnc on the mill:

Attachment 237568

I was a little concerned whether having the ballscrew mounted offset would cause binding but after everything was mounted, a small cordless drill easily moves the x axis really well. I can't even begin to describe how much more rigid everything is with no compound and a giant piece of 7075 on the x axis.

Pic of the ballscrew mounted:
    Attachment 237570

Next up, I have timing pulleys coming and a 3 hp extreme duty motor already to go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor-tag.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	237572

Name:	motor.jpg 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	237574

My jet used to look pretty much the same as the PM lathes. Now it is definitely on a "diet":

Attachment 237576

left overs:
    Attachment 237578

I took some time today to prep the lathe now that it is all stripped to go ahead and paint it.

2 coats of primer:

Attachment 237580

I ended up having some fun with the paint:

Attachment 237582

Attachment 237584

Attachment 237586

For reference, this is what the lathe looked like when I started with it:

Name:	lathe1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	237588

thanks for looking,

Gt40

Re: 13x40 Jet Lathe CNC conversion with vfd

Update:

I made some progress with the x axis. I mounted and aligned the ballscrew and the new riser plate. I was concerned whether there would be any binding. After aligning with my test indicator, I tightened up my dovetail, then torqued all of the screws holding he riser plate to the x axis, the ballscrew and mounts. I hooked up my test indicator and couldn't get it to move, everything is extremely solid. Next I hooked up my drill to check movement. Here is a short video moving the x axis over its full range:

Finally, I drilled and tapped the timing pulley and mounted it. The axis moves smoothly and without binding using the drill and by hand.

I am using a 15 and 25 tooth "L" timing gear setup.

Name:	pulleys.jpg 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	238198

I will probably get a shorter belt to keep the axis more compact. The belt was a left over from the mill conversion.

Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Update:

I made some progress with the x axis. I mounted and aligned the ballscrew and the new riser plate. I was concerned whether there would be any binding. After aligning with my test indicator, I tightened up my dovetail, then torqued all of the screws holding he riser plate to the x axis, the ballscrew and mounts. I hooked up my test indicator and couldn't get it to move, everything is extremely solid. Next I hooked up my drill to check movement. Here is a short video moving the x axis over its full range:

Finally, I drilled and tapped the timing pulley and mounted it. The axis moves smoothly and without binding using the drill and by hand.

I am using a 15 and 25 tooth "L" timing gear setup.

Name:	pulleys.jpg 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	238198

I will probably get a shorter belt to keep the axis more compact. The belt was a left over from the mill conversion.

Thanks for looking
    Looking good.will you have css? Are you using modbus? What sotware are you using?

Nice Job!
    Love that chuck!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    Looking good.will you have css? Are you using modbus? What sotware are you using?
    I am going to use Mach3 with DMM Tech servos. I used these with an Ethernet smooth stepper on the PM45 conversion. This has proven to be reliable on the mill and I will have one less thing to learn: P

I would like to do constant surface speed- any suggestions on running it on Mach 3 would be appreciated, as well as affordable cam if it exists. I haven't used Modbus yet but am looking into it for when I get a turret setup.

Update:

I made some real progress and got the z axis largely done. I made a monolithic ballnut block that is 1.8" thick and mounts to the saddle. I also made the two bearing blocks that support each end of the ballscrew. The trick was getting everything square and aligned. I was rewarded by a z axis that moves very smooth without any binding on the full range. The ballnut block has a "L" shaped cutout for my skarf guard I am making to protect the ballscrew. I have to finish the other 2 sides of the "box" I am building under the saddle that will protect and house the x axis servo and pulleys still but I can't wait to get this thing running. It is so stiff and solid compared with the way the lathe was stock and there is absolutely no perceptible backlash.

Pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zaxis4.jpg   zaxis3.jpg  

Update:

I was able to make some real progress and the CNC conversion is almost done mechanically. I still need to add the the limit/homing switches and run the one shot oiling system, enclosure etc(It's never really done!)

I tried to document the the build with a lot of pics so you can see was involved. The electronics are easy with the DMM servos and it is almost plug and play.

Enough yapping, here are the pics:

Attachment 241258

Attachment 241260

Attachment 241262

Attachment 241264

Attachment 241266

Attachment 241268

Attachment 241270

Attachment 241272

Attachment 241274

Attachment 241276

Attachment 241278

Name:	zservomounted.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	241280

Final overview shot:

Name:	finished1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	241282

Very cool project. That thing will produce lots of nice swarf. Looking forward to seeing it completed and making some cool stuff.
    Lee

GT40;
    Are you using any plans or just winging it? I have a Travers tool 9X30 I'm considering for CNC and like some of the mods you've made. Looking forward to the next installment.
    B
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    GT40;
    Are you using any plans or just winging it? I have a Travers tool 9X30 I'm considering for CNC and like some of the mods you've made. Looking forward to the next installment.
    B
    Thanks for the kind words. The plans are my own and I was trying to make everything as simple as possible so no complex shapes and a design that could be completed with a manual lathe or a drill press and band saw so people without a cnc mill could hopefully use the design. I think stripping the lathe down, cleaning it and paint took more time than to make the parts to convert it to cnc.

You are doing a Great job. Just wanted to say thank you. I just got a brand new 13X40 manual with DRO. This CNC conversion is sweet!
    Joes 4X4 R&P, CastCNC v2, K2 8" Z, Vrail, and 2.2kw spindle and X200 w/ Modbus

I finally got things working. I changed the z axis layout and converted to L timing pulleys with a 2:1 reduction for more resolution and mounted glass scales to make calibration easy. The DMM tech servos are really smooth. I am only running at 100/inch min with 20000 steps resolution. Here is a test video running gcode created from Mach3 turn wizard to check function:

I need to add my skarf shields and spindle pulse generator and coolant but at least it works.

I have my eye on an Enco 13x40, may have to pick it up and take your path. Thanks for sharing.

Greetings:

Here is a short video of my first test cut using a taper wizard in Mach 3, cutting a 60 degree taper, 0.95" long on a 1.5" piece of aluminum:

I am still figuring speeds and feeds so i just went with 10" minute feed and .05" doc. The lathe is much more rigid now than it used to be and I think I am just scratching the surface on the speed. What's cool is how good of finish quality I got cutting a taper without a cross slide.

Sorry about the poor quality, I was so excited just figuring out the wizard and being able to cut something I shot it handheld with the phone.

If anyone has any suggestions for cheap cam for the lathe, i would be greatly appreciated. I am using mesh cam on my mill but it doesn't work for the lathe.

Thanks for looking

Update:

I got Dolphin Turn and have been busy learning. I am starting to make sense of things and finally was able to thread with my lathe once more. The whole reason for me doing this conversion was I had a bad crash on the lathe a year ago and it was going to cost about the same to fix it as go cnc. I am pleased I can thread again and am starting to make some lights.

After learning how to thread on a manual lathe properly, my first experience threading via cnc was really humbling. less than 90 seconds to face, turn and thread a tube with perfect accuracy. I will post some stills of the threads but they came out beautiful. I also tested cutting various stock out in steel and aluminum and threading to fit nuts I had laying around and well, it just works:

Quick pic of part of custom light I am designing. I made these bodies setting up the tool offsets in the mach 3 software that runs the lathe. FYI, the finish is right off the lathe without polishing and with mist coolant I borrowed from my mill. It is about 3 minutes to make a part including facing, profiling, threading both sides and parting off the finished part. I had to get a left and right side threading tools.

Pretty awesome man. Good job. What kind of custom lights are you making? Auto or home?

Quote Originally Posted by chevydyl View Post
    Pretty awesome man. Good job. What kind of custom lights are you making? Auto or home?
    The design I have been playing with is a single 18650 powered light with a task led driver and xm-l led and cerakote finish. Finishing up on the head design and it should be ready to go.

Dude that's so badass I love flashlights. Can you show a pic of the components that you mentioned

Very nice. It seems to perform superbly.

I noticed you chose to mount the X ballscrew to the right of the crossslide instead of using the original screw location. Was it a space issue?

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Very nice. It seems to perform superbly.

I noticed you chose to mount the X ballscrew to the right of the crossslide instead of using the original screw location. Was it a space issue?

bob
    I wanted to do as simple of a conversion as possible and also use existing parts- I had previously got the ballscrew on ebay for a really good price and wanted to use it. Mounting on the side was the easiest and with the linear scale I have mounted, there is no detectable backlash or binding. The other option would have been to just machine the dovetails on the x axis flat and mount linear rails with the ballscrew between them. Given how well it is working, I am fine for now.

Page 1 of 2 12