584,863 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BobCad V23 Posting Issue?

Hello everyone,

I'm using BobCad V23 and I have a Grizzly G0619 mill. The mill was purchased from the former owner when he stepped up to a larger milling center, and it worked fine with no known issues. I brought the mill home and set it up in my garage and had no trouble figuring out the reassembly/wiring. Over the past two weeks, I began watching all of the BobCad training videos for V23, save for a few on the last disk in the set. I now have a good basic understanding of V23. I am a beginner at CNC, but I have worked in a machine shop about 25 years ago and I am familiar with most basic machining processes and terminology.

So here is my problem....I am trying to post my G code to Predator editor to watch the software run the back plot. I followed the tutorial for a simple pocket just as it was presented in the training video. In fact, I did my drawing as the video played and I did the same things as the instructor did. Once finished, I clicked "post" and my G code posted to the post manager at the bottom left of the BobCad V23 screen just as I would have expected. I then hovered my cursor in the post manager screen, right clicked, and chose "edit CNC". This caused the Predator editor to open and display the G code which was then posted to the Predator editor screen. However, I did not get a back plot icon in my toolbar, nor do I have any way to access it from my toolbar. It isn't like it is just grayed out, it isn't even there. Additionally, I can not "send to CNC" from Predator. If I choose "post and save" instead of "post" and then manually import the file to Mach 3, I can get it to run the tool path. Does anyone have any idea what might be my problem?

I can jog the mill on all 3 axes from my PC keyboard so I know that I have control through the control box to the mill. Everything seems to work, I just can't seem to get the G code through Predator and to Mach 3. I haven't changed any of the settings that the former owner had used in the original software configuration. Anyone have any suggestions? I had hoped to be able to figure this out on my own, but I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Lastly....I am going on the premise that my post processor for the G0619 should be the "generic" post processor. Is that correct?

Re: BobCad V23 Posting Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetboy View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm using BobCad V23 and I have a Grizzly G0619 mill. The mill was purchased from the former owner when he stepped up to a larger milling center, and it worked fine with no known issues. I brought the mill home and set it up in my garage and had no trouble figuring out the reassembly/wiring. Over the past two weeks, I began watching all of the BobCad training videos for V23, save for a few on the last disk in the set. I now have a good basic understanding of V23. I am a beginner at CNC, but I have worked in a machine shop about 25 years ago and I am familiar with most basic machining processes and terminology.

So here is my problem....I am trying to post my G code to Predator editor to watch the software run the back plot. I followed the tutorial for a simple pocket just as it was presented in the training video. In fact, I did my drawing as the video played and I did the same things as the instructor did. Once finished, I clicked "post" and my G code posted to the post manager at the bottom left of the BobCad V23 screen just as I would have expected. I then hovered my cursor in the post manager screen, right clicked, and chose "edit CNC". This caused the Predator editor to open and display the G code which was then posted to the Predator editor screen. However, I did not get a back plot icon in my toolbar, nor do I have any way to access it from my toolbar. It isn't like it is just grayed out, it isn't even there. Additionally, I can not "send to CNC" from Predator. If I choose "post and save" instead of "post" and then manually import the file to Mach 3, I can get it to run the tool path. Does anyone have any idea what might be my problem?

I can jog the mill on all 3 axes from my PC keyboard so I know that I have control through the control box to the mill. Everything seems to work, I just can't seem to get the G code through Predator and to Mach 3. I haven't changed any of the settings that the former owner had used in the original software configuration. Anyone have any suggestions? I had hoped to be able to figure this out on my own, but I'm a little confused. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

Lastly....I am going on the premise that my post processor for the G0619 should be the "generic" post processor. Is that correct?
    You need to check your Licence for the Predator sofyware within BobCAD, you only get the Backplot facility with the Level2 (Pro) version, you should still be able to use the DNC facility in Predator, that normally works OK in the basic version.

Do you have a "Dongle" for your V23 or is it activated with a Licence code ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "dongle"?

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "dongle"?

Ahhhrrr, must be one of them there young fellas

The "Dongle" is the slang term for what looks like a USB memory stick, used to be available with V23, meant that a person could have the software loaded on to more than one PC, example one at home and one at the shop and the "Dongle" was in effect the Licence and by inserting the "Dongle" in a USB socket the BobCAD V23 would run as licenced, without the "Dongle" it only ran as Demo version. Easy to carry around, unlike a PC or Laptop

BobCAD don`t offer them any more, shame as I like having one, from their point of view they don`t sell as many "seats" of the software when people have a "Dongle"

Did you check your Licence for which version of Predator you have ? ?

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Ahhhrrr, must be one of them there young fellas

The "Dongle" is the slang term for what looks like a USB memory stick, used to be available with V23, meant that a person could have the software loaded on to more than one PC, example one at home and one at the shop and the "Dongle" was in effect the Licence and by inserting the "Dongle" in a USB socket the BobCAD V23 would run as licenced, without the "Dongle" it only ran as Demo version. Easy to carry around, unlike a PC or Laptop

BobCAD don`t offer them any more, shame as I like having one, from their point of view they don`t sell as many "seats" of the software when people have a "Dongle"

Did you check your Licence for which version of Predator you have ? ?

Regards
    Rob
    Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I don't have a dongle, and I'm not a young fella either. I'm in my 40's and trying out CNC for the first time. I purchased the mill as a complete package with the PC and all. I know that it was working upon purchase and the seller was quite certain to make sure that everything was in proper working order for me. I'm thinking it is my inexperience causing my issue, but I am not certain so I thought I'd ask questions before I bang my head on the mill table one too many times. Trouble is, I'm not a computer whiz and I get a little lost when it comes to figuring these types of things out.

I have 2 versions of Predator on my desktop. The first is version 2005.7.0.40 (it actually says version 6.1.7601 service pack 1) and this is the version that the G code loads into when I select "Edit CNC" from the post manager in the V23 software. It has no back plot option and it states "read only" in the top of the window that it opens up in.

I can open the second version of Predator, Predator Virtual CNC, version 8.0.0.100, and it has a full compliment of options including back plotting, but the G code does not load into it from my V23 software. I can't even open the file for the part that I saved to my desktop from this version so i can't do anything with it.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to contact BobCad? Honestly, I am hesitant to contact BobCad because of their persistant sales calls. I contacted them last year when I was thinking about purchasing this mill just to inquire about upgrading to V25. I explained to the salesman that I would consider the upgrade when I was a little more familiar with the mill and V23. He tried to push me into V25 before I even had the mill and he called me numerous times even though I asked him politely not to do so. I almost didn't buy this mill because him. The calls were so annoying that I had to just start ignoring them when I saw their number show up on my phone. That being said, I really like their software. I just wish I didn't have to entertain the thought of calling them for assistance on this....and I am trying not to do so.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, I don't have a dongle, and I'm not a young fella either. I'm in my 40's and trying out CNC for the first time. I purchased the mill as a complete package with the PC and all. I know that it was working upon purchase and the seller was quite certain to make sure that everything was in proper working order for me. I'm thinking it is my inexperience causing my issue, but I am not certain so I thought I'd ask questions before I bang my head on the mill table one too many times. Trouble is, I'm not a computer whiz and I get a little lost when it comes to figuring these types of things out.
    OK, lets start at the beginning again for my old tired brain, (40 something is "young fella" to me ).
    If you purchased the PC with the machine did it have the BobCAD V23 software already loaded and Licenced or did you install the V23 to the PC or do you have the V23 on a different PC ? ?

I have 2 versions of Predator on my desktop. The first is version 2005.7.0.40 (it actually says version 6.1.7601 service pack 1) and this is the version that the G code loads into when I select "Edit CNC" from the post manager in the V23 software. It has no back plot option and it states "read only" in the top of the window that it opens up in.
    The version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 is referring to your PC Operating System (Win 7 Pro 64 bit I think) not the Predator software so just ignore that part, I am assuming you got that from clicking the "System Info" button.
    Not understanding the "read only" you say you are getting at the top, here is an image of my Predator without the Licence Key (Dongle) inserted, is this what you are getting ? ?

Attachment 237706

Here is an image with my Licence Key inserted, you can see the difference, Backplot Icon is present

Attachment 237708

I can open the second version of Predator, Predator Virtual CNC, version 8.0.0.100, and it has a full compliment of options including back plotting, but the G code does not load into it from my V23 software. I can't even open the file for the part that I saved to my desktop from this version so i can't do anything with it.
    Forget that one, you don`t really need it and it is extra money

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to contact BobCad? Honestly, I am hesitant to contact BobCad because of their persistant sales calls. I contacted them last year when I was thinking about purchasing this mill just to inquire about upgrading to V25. I explained to the salesman that I would consider the upgrade when I was a little more familiar with the mill and V23. He tried to push me into V25 before I even had the mill and he called me numerous times even though I asked him politely not to do so. I almost didn't buy this mill because him. The calls were so annoying that I had to just start ignoring them when I saw their number show up on my phone. That being said, I really like their software. I just wish I didn't have to entertain the thought of calling them for assistance on this....and I am trying not to do so.

Check your V23 Licence by opening V23 and going to the "Help > License" and checking what you have there, see image below for what you should have if you have paid for the Level 2 with Backplot.

Attachment 237710

It does sound like you don`t have the Backplot Level 2 Predator I`m afraid, double check your BobCAD Invoice for what you paid for
    If you didn`t pay for it then I would say that if you can get a really good deal on the Level 2 Predator then buy it, worth every penny However Mach3 will show you the toolpath from the G code so you can check your code there before running the machine

Sorry but that`s all I have for now with the info you have, if the CNC is running under Mach3 then it is easy enough to take the programs from one PC to another on a memory stick, don`t need DNC connections at all, if you want to save programs directly from a different PC to the HDD of the PC that is running Mach3 you can do that better/easier by setting up a network and just connecting the 2 PCs with an Ethernet cable if they both have Ethernet hardware on board, or via a USB connection

Regards
    Rob

P.S. If you do decide to upgrade then go to V26, it is "light years" ahead of V23 and even V25

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    OK, lets start at the beginning again for my old tired brain, (40 something is "young fella" to me ).
    If you purchased the PC with the machine did it have the BobCAD V23 software already loaded and Licenced or did you install the V23 to the PC or do you have the V23 on a different PC ? ?

The version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 is referring to your PC Operating System (Win 7 Pro 64 bit I think) not the Predator software so just ignore that part, I am assuming you got that from clicking the "System Info" button.
    Not understanding the "read only" you say you are getting at the top, here is an image of my Predator without the Licence Key (Dongle) inserted, is this what you are getting ? ?

Attachment 237706

Here is an image with my Licence Key inserted, you can see the difference, Backplot Icon is present

Attachment 237708

Forget that one, you don`t really need it and it is extra money

Check your V23 Licence by opening V23 and going to the "Help > License" and checking what you have there, see image below for what you should have if you have paid for the Level 2 with Backplot.

Attachment 237710

It does sound like you don`t have the Backplot Level 2 Predator I`m afraid, double check your BobCAD Invoice for what you paid for
    If you didn`t pay for it then I would say that if you can get a really good deal on the Level 2 Predator then buy it, worth every penny However Mach3 will show you the toolpath from the G code so you can check your code there before running the machine

Sorry but that`s all I have for now with the info you have, if the CNC is running under Mach3 then it is easy enough to take the programs from one PC to another on a memory stick, don`t need DNC connections at all, if you want to save programs directly from a different PC to the HDD of the PC that is running Mach3 you can do that better/easier by setting up a network and just connecting the 2 PCs with an Ethernet cable if they both have Ethernet hardware on board, or via a USB connection

Regards
    Rob

P.S. If you do decide to upgrade then go to V26, it is "light years" ahead of V23 and even V25
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I did purchase the PC with the machine with V23 already loaded. I was working just fine and I have no reason to presume that it won't now. I have made some drawings and copied the G code to Mach 3 already. My issue seems to be getting it through Predator but I think your explanation has answered my question.

The images of your predator software are helpful. Mine looks like your first image, without the license key. I have the same icons that you show there. I guess I don't have the license key and I was not even aware of it until you mentioned it. I will have to look at it again tomorrow and I will let you know what I find. I will look into getting Predator 2 as soon as I can get up and running. I have bypassed Predator by saving the G code to my desktop and then importing it into Mach 3. I can also view the tool path by using the "verify" command in V23. Right now I am becoming more familiar with Mach 3 and I hope to be making some chips within the next few days. Once I can make a few parts and gain a little familiarity with the programs and the mill itself, a software upgrade to V26 would be great and I do plan on doing it. I just want to get a little learning under my belt before I make the purchase. I already have a new PC waiting for when I make the jump.

Thanks for your assistance. I will let you know more tomorrow evening. :wave:

Hi Rob,

It all makes sense now. I do not have the license for the Predator software. I guess I will have to save my files and load them into Mach 3 manually for a while until I become a little familiar with the mill and the software enough to warrant an upgrade. I have a fairly good grasp on the BobCad V23 software now. I just need to wrap my head around Mach 3 and it isn't sinking in real well yet. I understand the concepts, but my software isn't doing what the Mach 3 tutorials say it should be doing.

Thanks for your help in helping me figure out my Predator issue. Sorry to bug you with such a simple problem. I figured I was doing something wrong because the software was on my PC already and I thought it was available for my use. :wave: :drowning:

I have 23,25,and 26.I use Preditor 2 on all 3 versions.
    It has paid for itself many,many times by preventing crashes.Back Plot prevents crashes and the code has never once been sent to machine and misread.
    It is not as fancy as simulation,but it is reliable.