585,883 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power Drawbar Options

I wonder for those of you that run a PDB of any sort...what would you do now? Would you buy the Tormach PDB or make your own or some sort? I haven't seen much else available for Tormach specifically but have seen many others. I don't want a butterfly ratchet design. Looking more air cylinder or maybe stepper driven. I am running a 4th axis so probably air. I don't need to hook up any more electronics.

Re: Power Drawbar Options

Tormach design is excellent and we'll worth the $$$

Brian
    WOT Designs

The Tormach system works well for what I do. There is no way that I would build my own so long as a decent one (like the Tormach) is available for purchase. I'd rather be building stuff that I can't buy, though can understand why others enjoy the challenge of building their own.

Mike

Also it integrates with the tool changer easily. Not that you couldn't adapt yours to as well but it's plug and play

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

...Or super cheap! If I can build it for half the price, I have a hard time buying it.

Does anyone have a solid model or drawing of Tormachs? They have all sorts of other drawings but not the PDB.

The Tormach PDB works extremely well for me and was well worth the money. I have better things to do with my time than to redo an already well engineered and well built product. BTW asking for solid models is just solicitation for theft IMO.

Don Clement

I like my Tormach version as well, relatively quiet and quick and works well.
    mike sr

I agree to a point Don but not here. Just looking for some dimensions. I have plans for others, just looking to compare.

In the end, I will probably just get the Tormach. Does it have a scissor action? Does it just press down on the spindle?

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    I agree to a point Don but not here. Just looking for some dimensions. I have plans for others, just looking to compare.

In the end, I will probably just get the Tormach. Does it have a scissor action? Does it just press down on the spindle?
    Perhaps if you email Greg he would just hand over all his engineering data on the PDB.

Don Clement

Harold: You hop in any car you want and just drive off?
    Maude: Well, not any car - I like to keep a variety. I'm always looking for the new experience.
    Harold: [smiling] Maybe.
    Harold: [more seriously] Nevertheless, I think you're upsetting people. I don't know if that's right.
    Maude: Well, if some people get upset because they feel they have a hold on some things, I'm merely acting as a gentle reminder: here today, gone tomorrow, so don't get attached to things *now.* With *that* in mind, I'm not against collecting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Perhaps if you email Greg he would just hand over all his engineering data on the PDB.

Don Clement

Harold: You hop in any car you want and just drive off?
    Maude: Well, not any car - I like to keep a variety. I'm always looking for the new experience.
    Harold: [smiling] Maybe.
    Harold: [more seriously] Nevertheless, I think you're upsetting people. I don't know if that's right.
    Maude: Well, if some people get upset because they feel they have a hold on some things, I'm merely acting as a gentle reminder: here today, gone tomorrow, so don't get attached to things *now.* With *that* in mind, I'm not against collecting stuff.
    Don, I'll bet Greg would be happy to sell the design for the PDB for $1,350.95. But that's the price of the PDB with some accessories so why not just buy it, install it and be done with it. I bought the PDB when I bought my machine. The ATC came out about 3 months later, but I figured for the $4,200.00 price, I could change tools a whole bunch of times by hand.

My next big purchase is going to be the new enclosure.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.