585,705 active members*
4,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

4x4 FLA Pro with upgrades

Hello all,

I am a noob, and have wanted a CNC for a few years now. Some background on me, I have no experience with CNC's, or much CAD, and no CAM. I took two years of mechanical and architectural engineering and one year in college before changing majors to a computer programming degree. For the last 5 1/2 years I have been working for a very large well known company as a Sr. Programmer/Analyst. I write mostly C++ and C but have experience in most languages. I am currently living with and engaged to my beautiful, and very patient fiance, my soon to be step daughter, and our 1 year old daughter. I have multiple hobbies which include, writing software, computers, woodworking, electronics, robotics, and guitar. I joined this board a few months ago and started researching different DIY machines, and researching everything I could research on CNC's. This board is definitely the best fire hose treatment of knowledge for CNC, CAD/CAM, etc... I like all the major designs with the extrusions and R&P. My choices were down to CNCRP's 4x2 or 4x4 standard kit, FLA's new 4x4, or Kronos' KRMx02. All very well designed machine, but what it came down to was cost mostly. After numerous emails between CNCRP and FLA I decided to give Nate a benefit of the doubt. I have read some mixed reviews with customer service, but looking at his designs I was sure it will fit my needs. I have received all of my kit except a couple parts for the upgraded 3060 gantry and the electronics. I knew going into this that FLA is known for not being the fastest at email responses, but I can tell he is working on being better, and I am a patient dude. I want to thank Ahren @ CNCRP's also for my numerous emails back and forth between choices, he was very helpful.

As of the last couple of weeks I have finished my stand, and most of the router base. The stand was the hardest part, I built the stand out of unistruts and a $#!7 ton of 1/2 inch bolts, it is a slightly modified version of Kronos' steel stand. I think it will work well, I decided on these mostly because they are not terribly expensive and I have no access to a welder, also am not very good at it either. I plan to post plenty of pictures, and questions when they arise.

Here is the base it is 72 in wide, 60 in deep, and 31ish in tall:
    Attachment 237696

The TTP (Table Tension Pro) base:
    Attachment 237698

With the riser blocks and rails attached:
    Attachment 237700

I am currently still working on getting everything squared up and still need to attach the router to the table. I will post more pictures the more I get done, also will probably be now more active in the boards too.

Thanks,
    Justin

Re: 4x4 FLA Pro with upgrades

Love the work so far! Interested in seeing how it runs.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com

Finally got some time to get back to the build the last couple of nights.

The other night I got the steel x axis rails on and the bearings.

Tonight i was able to get the router attached to the stand, which is with t-studs throught the bottom extrusion and anchored to the cross beams on the stand.

Also was able to get the x axis steel racks, the gantry interface plates, and the bumpers. So far everything is going together fairly simple. But the nights I get to work on it I only get a couple of hours. Stay tuned.

Forgot to add all the pics last post. Here they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1402551305166.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1402551317910.jpg  

Looking good so far. Love the stand. Did any step give you trouble so far? Thought you might like some pictures of the upgraded Gantry assembly to help you out.

Some Notes on the new setup:

1. Make sure the set of 4 holes drilled out to accept the 5/16" hex bolts are on the same side of each interface plate.
    2. I would lay the 3060 gantry piece on the interface plates and only then slide the double T-Nuts in from the side.
    3. Tighten down the angle bracket screws first, which will square the 3060 beam to the gantry, before you tighten the other bolts.
    Fine Line Automation

Thanks for the diagrams do the drilled out holes on the interface plate go under the gantry or the 45 supports?

Quote Originally Posted by streetrodlover View Post
    Thanks for the diagrams do the drilled out holes on the interface plate go under the gantry or the 45 supports?

Under the 3060 gantry.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation

K I didn't notice when i put them on that holes were even drilled out lol, one is facing the wrong way. The only issues I have had so far was:
    1. the base getting square i tightened and loosend a few times until i decided to take it all apart and then matched the holes they were off about 1/16 so i flipped one side then they matched on the sides, so basically flip one side around. Should of checked that first before I started.
    2. Not all cross beams were cut dead on 71", 3 were long about 1/16 so I used 1/16 inch washers beween the end of two cross beams and the sides. Those two seemed to square it up pretty good.
    3. On the gantry riser blocks the distance between the face of the block and mounting holes were not the same on both sides. So when you say to start everything flush on the front plane, only one side would be flush and the opposite side would stick out about an 1/8 inch. What I did to compensate was keep everything the same on the left side and the right side moved the 3030 back an 1/8th.

Other then those it has been coming together very nicely. I'll try to get some good pictures possibly tonight still of what I explained.

These are the pictures to explain the squaring issues:
    This one shows one of the two cross members that I had to shim:
    Attachment 240558
    This is the left side, and on this side the riser block sits nice and flush to the front face of the base extrusion:
    Attachment 240556
    And this is the right side which sticks out a little past the base extrusion, so to square it I moved the 3030 extrusion back about an 1/8th inch:
    Attachment 240560

All of that it seems pretty square now and rails seem parallel. I will see more when I am able to get the gantry on but I am waiting on a couple parts, and some missing fasteners from Nate.

evening, any progress on your machine build? I'm interested to see that upgraded gantry!

Not yet, I will have some of the missing fasteners this week then i can start the build back up. I just looked at your build, its coming along very nice and clean. I wish I would have welded a base. I am forseeing possible vibration issues. Either way I am getting very anxious to see these running.

Took a couple steps back and decided before I get too far to pull the rails of and get them painted last week. Then got it put back together, put the gantry on and the Y rail. Hopefully will get the Z together and put on, and possibly motor mounts and motors by end of this weekend now that it is not so hot outside and in the garage. After that I will be waiting for Nate to finish up the electronics and the two 45 degree gantry supports. I also readjusted the bearings, I must have had them too tight before it rolls much more smoothly now.

Also Nate,
    There is a trick with those bottom gantry anchors and I will write up how I installed them possibly tonight still.

Here's some pics.
    Attachment 244838
    Attachment 244840
    Attachment 244842

Thought you might like to see some in progress pics of the electronics cabinet. Got the base milled yesterday and should have everything together by the weekend

Attachment 244938

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407419183.305983.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	244944
    Fine Line Automation

Awesome looks good. I should hopefully have the z axis on this weekend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FineLineAuto View Post
    Looking good so far. Love the stand. Did any step give you trouble so far? Thought you might like some pictures of the upgraded Gantry assembly to help you out.

Some Notes on the new setup:

1. Make sure the set of 4 holes drilled out to accept the 5/16" hex bolts are on the same side of each interface plate.
    2. I would lay the 3060 gantry piece on the interface plates and only then slide the double T-Nuts in from the side.
    3. Tighten down the angle bracket screws first, which will square the 3060 beam to the gantry, before you tighten the other bolts.

This is how I attatched the gantry. Because there is not enough clearance under the interface plate to rock the bottom bolts into place, I ended up removing the interface plate.
    So my advice to anyone going with the 3060 gantry is this:

Put the two back 5/16 hex bolts on the interface plate before attaching it to the bearings.

When it comes time for the gantry, you will loctite all these bolts. So make sure all tools and hardware are there because you will have to move fast-ish.

Put the 3060 across the interface plates towards the front. Start loctiting all bolts and loosly attach the double t nuts on the 90 degree brackets.

Next you will have to loctite the two 5/16 hex bolts so put your hand under the interface plate and push and hold up the bolts, then loctite the ends and try to loosely get the double tnut on. Then do the other side. Then carefully maneuver the 3060 on the plates and line up one end and slide it through the bottom t slot, enough to be able to line up and slide the tslot over the other side. After that you're golden, center the gantry on the machine then slide the 90 degree brackets with double tnuts into the end of the gantry and tighten them down like shown in instructions. After that tighten all four bottom hex bolts.

Then to install the front hex bolts i rolled the gantry to the back of the machine. Took the back bumper off, slowly and carefully rolled to the edge of the steel rail. Then had enough clearance to rock the front bolts into place. And just slid the double tnut in the tslot. This way is a little risky, if the rails are not square with the gantry you could roll off the rail.

Another possible way could be to put all bolts in and see if you can still get to the back bolts with a wrench.

Hopefully that makes sense I just spit it all out as I remembered my steps. Any questions or clarifications just ask. Thanks.

I haven't posted in a while, figured I would give an update.

I have the machine fully assembled, electronics/motors I have tested. The only thing I am waiting on is for Nate to finish the 45 degree gantry supports.

Here are some pics:
    Putting the Z-axis together:
    Attachment 250712
    Attachment 250714
    Attachment 250716

Getting motor mounts and motors on.
    Attachment 250718
    Attachment 250720
    Attachment 250722
    Attachment 250724

Attachment 250726

Putting the plywood base and shelf on:
    Attachment 250728

Made some cable trays out of sheet metal, attached those, and the drag chain.
    Attachment 250730
    Attachment 250732

Ended up making some dust caps on the ends of the gantry out of some scrap kydex I had laying around. It's got a nice look to it.
    Attachment 250734

Temporarily hooked it up to control box and pc to jog it to see how it moved. It was pretty nice finally seeing it work, did not run any toolpaths just jogged it around.
    Attachment 250736

I still need to mount the router, the spoil board, figure out where the computer/monitor/control cabinet is going, clean up the cables, and install the limit switches. I should have all that done within the next week or so. And once those gantry supports get finished and shipped I should be able to start making some chips. W00T!

-Justin

Has anyone heard from Nate for a while? I have been trying to contact him for about 4 weeks now.

Your machines looking great! I like the caps on your gantry extrusion, finishes it off nicely! I haven't needed to speak to Nate lately, i just checked the fla Facebook though, he updated it on the 20th of september so he must be around. Its too bad, he sells a good product but the company's communication and length of time from order to shipment (especially when it is stated on the website "We stock these kits and they are ready to ship immediately. In the event that we do run out of stock, we will notify you immediately and ship it within the week" ) is going to kill the business.

I agree, don't get me wrong I wish his company the best and hope he does succeed, but without great communication I think he will lose a lot of potential business. I have been very impressed to date with this machine, I was just thinking going into it I would of had it running by July or Aug since I ordered in May. The only thing I have left to recieve for this kit are the two gantry supports, and the last time I talked to him a month ago said they were next in line to be worked on. I have been trying to get a hold of him since for a status update and have not heard from him, so I figured I would check with everyone else. Do you have your machine running now grub?

So close yet so far eh? Hopefully the parts show up soon! Im close to running just have 2 little projects left for it all to fall together. I will get a few pictures and update my build thread tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12