584,826 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Joelwhitton
    Originally the plan was to make a turbo shaft to install in my R.C. Helicopter but just couldn’t go past putting a tail cone on it and bolting it to the B.B.Q.
    Joel.

COOL! (flame2)

Something else good to know Mr Vulcom1 is that routing the fuel, oil and gas through the front cover of the turbo jet enables easy removal of the outer case for both inspections and or repairs. This, I accomplished by machining small flared end fittings that attach these tubes to the rear of the diffuser, trust me you’ll be glad you did.

Joel.

That is an incredible piece of work, nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Joelwhitton
    Something else good to know Mr Vulcom1 is that routing the fuel, oil and gas through the front cover of the turbo jet enables easy removal of the outer case for both inspections and or repairs. This, I accomplished by machining small flared end fittings that attach these tubes to the rear of the diffuser, trust me you’ll be glad you did.

Joel.
    would you have some more detailed pictures of this?

great job by the way!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

I dont want to hyjact the thread but.....ok I do!

Can any of the knowlegable folks here answer the questions in this thread for me?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23632

Sry for the hyjack. thanks.

Joel,
    On the attachment of the lines to the rear of the diffuser which I understand but I have a question on the front. What are the lines made of going out the cover to attach to your external fuel lines? I looked back at your pic's to see but maybe missed it. Knowing your setup help's in a big way.
    Thanks, John

Hi John, The fittings used where 3/32, or 4mm pnuematic fittings purchased from an air tool company here in Australia (mabey a hardware store there in Canada) they were threaded into the fromt case and then small rebated o rings were fitted on the other side of the case that seated on the supply holes coming through the diffuser. I took a quick photo of the pnuematic fitting attached.

Regards Joel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0185.JPG  

Joel,
    Thanks for the info and I have used the 1/8" ones in my work so I know I can get the 3/32 and probably the 4mm.
    Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    would you have some more detailed pictures of this?

great job by the way!
    Sorry no Michael I didn't take pici's of this area but i'll slide the cover off soon and take a few for you.

Regards Joel.

Here's a few more photos!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.bmp   IMGA0109.JPG   IMGA0112.JPG   IMGA0139.JPG  

Joel,
    Thanks for the pic's. The one where you are holding it by the body explains a lot on the fittings.
    Thanks, John

None of those peices look like mission impossible!

Which of the pieces cause the most problems machining? or were just plain hard to do?

thanks
    Michael
    thanks
    Michael T.

what machines did you use to make the jet?
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    None of those peices look like mission impossible!

Which of the pieces cause the most problems machining? or were just plain hard to do?

thanks
    Michael
    None of it was mission impossible Michael, you would be surprised at how easy the whole thing was to build. The diffuser was probably the most labor intensive and the problem area was the main shaft. I machined it out of 4130 and every time it came down to the bearing journals I just took off a whisker too much (DOHW!!!) also the combination lathe mill I purchased had no gearing for a reverse thread so I had to machine a slot in the gear swing arm and install an idler. The rest was pretty simple, here's a pic of my machine rhino.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe2.bmp  

Joel,
    I agree with you on the machining. I have made 4 diffusers all different ways and then purchased a mill drill last year. Trying to make them on the lathe with a separate adapter just gave me too much play and nothing close. Made 3 shafts before I got one also. Frustrating when you get close and then oops. Found with mine that I turn with centre's and a dog works the best. Also before I do my final I go for a coffee and give it lots of time to cool and stabilize.
    Just mentioned how I am working with mine as it helps when you don't have to re-invent. Still nice work to see especially the intake. How did you figure out the angle's for the diffuser? Still have to do that.
    John

have you fired it up yet, and if so do you have any pictures?
    thanks
    Michael T.

I have had many hours of happy running Michael and just today mounted it on my push bike, have a look! I'll get some video footage for ya all. And John, I used a lathe with a overhead mill for my diffuser, the method I used to mill the outer fins, which I feel require the precision and time, involved manufacturing a cam (as can be seen on one of my earlier photos) in the chuck with a spring return, and depressed it with the tail stock, a home made dividing head and alot of patience was also involved. Here’s a bit of a drawing of the cam assembly.

Joel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0186.JPG   IMGA0187.JPG   IMGA0188.JPG   untitled.bmp  

Talking

Does it actually provide enough thrust to propel the bike? It looks like it would. If so how fast etc. Any plans for an after burner? ha ha :banana:

That looks good on there. Don't have anyhing loose in your back pockets :cheers:
    John

My 2c - Bravo!! A great many people could make such a thing as a mock-up, but to make it and actually have it work is seriously cool, and very fine craftsmanship, too.

Page 2 of 4 1234