584,874 active members*
5,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Home made turbojet

I had the opportunity to build a turbo jet engine, KJ 66 style, in 2004. it took me close to a year and I manufactured everything bar the turbine and compressor wheels, bearings and the NGV. All done on a combination lathe/mill.

Pics ? Video's... noticed your in Aus, not near Cairns by any chance ?

Russell.

I am in Cairns as it happens, and yes heaps of photos through the building process and a few videos of the first couple of times i ran the turbine! upload soon.

Thumbs up

u r a hero but where is proof? u r a hobbist or businessman

Sorry for the wait all, here are a few pic's, more to come. No not a businessman, just a backyard hobbist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.bmp   2.bmp   6.bmp   8.bmp  

11.bmp   IMGA0095.JPG   IMGA0101.JPG   IMGA0106.JPG  

IMGA0111.JPG   IMGA0118.JPG   IMGA0140.JPG  

Wow! The mind boggles. I cant even imagine making that. Nice.

cool! does it work? i want to put one on my rc plane.
    did you design it or did you build from plans?

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L! You must have some patience!! Keep it up
    Keith

Very nice work. Thanks for the pic's as I have been working on a couple for a while for my CF100. It has been on the back burner for the summer but this is the inspiration to get back at it.
    I have a question that maybe you could answer. With all the modifications that are out by different people did you stay with the original or make some changes? The reason I am asking is that a lot of guy's have changed parts and being in the middle of nowhere for this part of the hobby makes it difficult to know what works or does not.
    I like the pictures as it makes some parts more clear when you see a photo.
    Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by Joelwhitton
    Sorry for the wait all, here are a few pic's, more to come. No not a businessman, just a backyard hobbist.
    i cant believe this. this u had made at home! fantastic.
    making any programe to visit india. i want to kiss u.

Nice work, give us a yell next time your thinking of firing it up and I'll stir Sam up and we might come over for a gander, if its alright with you of course.

Although we probably won't be as friendly as Sanjiv...

Russell.

Thanks for the reply all. Most of the time spent in building this engine was making jigs etc to machine the engine parts. The design was based on the KJ66 engine, I had stumbled across a site that provided limited plans for the engine and designed and modified the rest from there. It runs just beautifully and at present I’m mounting it on the back of my bicycle (just for a laugh) as I don’t fly R.C. aircraft confidently enough to mount it in one of those. One change in hindsight I would have made and probably will soon is to install six propane/butane nozzles along with the six fuel nozzles instead of the existing two for a cleaner start. I have video footage of it’s first few runs but at 750mb a piece I’ll have to cut them down before I upload them. I desperately want to build myself a CNC mill, hence my existence on this site and would just love to get a few idea’s from members and offer some of my own. I’m currently in aircraft engineering but have in the past worked as an electronics tech and the reason I purchased my lathe/mill was to machine parts for flight simulators, and only later toyed with the idea of building a turbo jet with it.

Regards Joel

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by epineh
    Nice work, give us a yell next time your thinking of firing it up and I'll stir Sam up and we might come over for a gander, if its alright with you of course.

Although we probably won't be as friendly as Sanjiv...

Russell.
    I'll be taking it for a run around the airport on the back of my push bike next week, I'll let Sam know when and he can contact you!

Regards, Joel

You are an evil genius bent on making the rest of us look bad aren’t you?
    I would love to be a fly on the wall at your shop!
    How about some photos of that thing running.

No Probs, look forward to it.

Russell.

Nice work Joel, ain't the feeling great to build turbine and watch it run at the end of all the hard work. Quite scary the first few times don't you think?
    Keep the fire burning.
    Congratulations.

Thanks for the tip on the propane nozzles. I am not that far on installing them so will incorporate them in also. I agree the most time is making jigs. I made the end cap jigs out of steel and press them with a hydraulic press. Also made a small roller and punch for the chambers.
    Thanks for the reply,
    John

Do you have a model plane, boat, car etc. your planing on using it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker
    Nice work Joel, ain't the feeling great to build turbine and watch it run at the end of all the hard work. Quite scary the first few times don't you think?
    Keep the fire burning.
    Congratulations.
    Palms were sweating and hands were shaking I assure you!
    Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549
    Do you have a model plane, boat, car etc. your planing on using it in?
    Originally the plan was to make a turbo shaft to install in my R.C. Helicopter but just couldn’t go past putting a tail cone on it and bolting it to the B.B.Q.
    Joel.

Page 1 of 4 123