585,763 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Importing a machine from China or the us

Hi guys,
    Looking to import a CNC router of approx 60x120 cutting area, capable of cutting out aluminum sheeting etc. Really like the fireball series from probotixs but the shipping cost is enormous for some of their machines. Does any one have any tips/companies they have dealt with to import/ship, or other CNC companies that will ship to Australia with roughly the same specs? I have thought about a Chinese machine but would prefer a US kit machine. If anyone has any Chinese suppliers that are worth dealing with for Aussie customers suggestions would be awesome . Would be looking at the 6090 if I was to go Chinese.

Cheers !

Re: Importing a machine from China or the us

Hi, alibaba or madeinchina should give you all the suppliers, if the machine costs more than 1000 aud you may need to pay import tax, also, an import broker will store it at a warehouse which will cost extra.

I wanted to save 800 on a drillmill importing myself, after all the research i realised it was easier to buy local, reason being local bulk importers can offset the costs.

Maybe get friendly with a chinese 2 dollar goods shop owner and he may cut you a deal on container space and shared costs? Worth a try.
    That really is the key - your contacts.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Hi, I am going down the same path as you and the US Kit that I like is from PDJ Pilot pro. They will air freight a machine (DHL or FEDEX I guess) at a reasonable price. Another unit that seems good is a German unit cnc-step.de I do not have any links to these company's and I am leaning towards the US unit as it is in English. Check them out..
    Regards

I do have an Cnc-Step machine (Heiz 400 t ) if you Need Info i can help but Self Import search for skyfire here and read what has happened (also to me ) ,... I would Not recommend Self Import ,..

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Hi Which part of "skyfire" search do you mean. It appears to go on for ever.
    Thanks in advance

I meant it as an example for self Import .. My opinion just dont do it .. it is not Worth the risk ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

There are importers of machines here in oz that have already taken care of all the problems to do with self imports and provide a warranty that you can enforce.

Also, most of the kit machines sold from the US are sourced from China...if you think that the freight cost from China to the US an then to Oz is something to be avoided then also think about trying to enforce a warranty claim toward a US company, you have about as much chance as against a Chinese company.. buckleys

It depends on the level of support that you need with the machine. There are lots of shipping agents that will help you import a unit via LCL or FCL ( where they pack there own container) in Australia the freight component is cheap but the clearance chargers are where the costs are, not to mention import duty and GST etc generally you are looking at $200 for a CM but about $1000 + in clearance charges. You can also arrange air freight we just landed a new one that was 150KG that was $1300 in air freight door to door (4 days from SZ) So you have to factor in what the machine is worth to you. Also the Chinese imports are lacking in support and the electronics for control are often rubbish, think of it as a pre assembled kit that you need to build verify test and setup to your liking and needs. But like i said you need to be able to support your self in getting it going and don't expect warranty.

I self imported a 6090 from China directly some years back, it was a very stressful and expensive time, but I ended up with a machine that was mechanically and electronically superb, at a cost of around 1/3 to 1/4 of what local suppliers charged, for the exact same machine! Several years on, I couldn't be happier with the machine, it's 300kgs of reliable grunt!

Shipping, taxes, and port fees are very high, and unless you go through a broker, who adds $400-$500 on top at least, delays and extra charges can ensue unless you rreally know what your doing and have contacts.

If I had to do it again, now that I understand the process a bit better, I wouldn't hesitate. The key is to deal with a reputable company that at the very least seems to care about their image, demand build photos and videos along every step of the build process as I did, pre-sort out a good economical broker, and get the paperwork lined up so there's no surprises.

It can be daunting, but it's really not as frightening as you'd think. The only other thing I'd caution, is not all 6090's from the various sellers are made equal, I've seen several where for example the gantry is made of very thin aluminium section, which of course will cause flex when machining. Also, a good VFD, and drivers is crucial.

So far as support goes, I took the attitude that so long as the machine is mechanically sound, then any fault that occurs will simply be a driver replacement, or VFD replacement, etc, simply exchangeable items.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!