585,764 active members*
4,028 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Thermwood C53 router - Jerky motion

Thermwood C53 router - Jerky motion

I have a 1997 thermwood c53 3 axis router. I have been getting to know the machine and have been running it at slow feedrates, now its time to speed things up and for some real cutting.

My problem is the heavy 10hp head does not like changing direction at speed. Basicly I would like to slow down the feedrate when it comes to a sharp corner/change of direction, currently it will SOMETIMES make a complete 90 degree without slowing down at all. The sharp change in direction causes the head to vibrate/shudder which shows on the work.

What confuses me more is sometimes it will slow down for a 90 change of direction and then other times it corner at full speed?

Are there any settings/gcode I should be aware of to help matters.

Many thanks
    Gavin

Re: Thermwood C53 router - Jerky motion

In the very beginning of the program insert a g808 that is what is use for mine. This changes the acceleration. I believe the last number is for percent of acceleration. So you can adjust from g801-g809, 808 is what is currently working for me. Mine mainly does straight lines at 300ipm so it was making quite a ruckus at direction changes.

Re: Thermwood C53 router - Jerky motion

Thanks Davy, I have been using G804 for the last couple of weeks and while it works well on most corners there were still times when it would not slow down at all for a 90 degree turn. I will try uping the last number to an 8 to see if it helps.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the angle of direction change. For example anything under 90 degrees it slows down for the corners and anything above 90 degree it will continue at full speed?