585,719 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > turret box or wedge alignment

turret box or wedge alignment

Hi all,

When we first got our SL10 7 years ago i crashed the turret into the chuck which misaligned the turret, the turret was out 0.004 over 3" in the z when clocking across where the id tool holder is bolted. This didnt really cause me any issues so i had left it. However, just recently i was manufacturing some studs when one got jammed when parting off, this has now knocked the turret further out of alignment and it is now 0.005/0.006 over 3" and i would like to realign it. Can anyone explain how i can determine whether it is the turret housing or the wedge that has moved as i cant see how this can be done without the wedge having a machined surface to clock along. I actually have a copy of the Haas service manual which explains as follows

1. Mount magnetic base on face of turret and check two positions on spindle face
    2. A difference in readings between the two positions proves the wedge is out of alignment

It then goes on to explain how to move the wedge. Surely this does not prove that the wedge is out of alignment as it could still very well be the turret housing that has twisted on the wedge? If the turret housing has twisted then the x axis would not be square to the z axis and you would get a difference in readings, the same would happen if it was the wedge that had moved.
    As the turret housing is bolted onto the wedge, surely it does not matter whether the its the turret housing or the wedge that is adjusted as both would achieve the same outcome, can anyone confirm whether this is correct?

Thanks in advance!

Re: turret box or wedge alignment

I think this is correct:

If the wedge has moved the X axis will not move perpendicular to the spindle axis so if you face across a large diameter, it will be concave or convex.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Double post
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That is correct Geof but the same would apply if the turret box had moved on the wedge

Since this is an old post, I dont think I'm a jack.
    I can visualize that adjusting the trucks under the wedge of an st-20 will set X purpendicular to Z and that adjusting the changer box has nothing to do with purpendicularity. What adjusting the box will do is make the axis of the turret parallel to the spindle axis, so I can drill a hole.

My question is when adjusting the trucks under the wedge for purpendicularity wont I affect the "Y" dimention (2ax lathe) or do I later adjust turret indexing to set tool height (Y)?