585,932 active members*
3,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Way Oil Conversion

I just purchased a machine and when I got it home I thought to call the previous owner and ask him what he used for way oil in the lube system. He responded that he used a 10-30 motor oil. Years ago I purchased a Bridgeport that someone had mixed different types of way oil on the machne and it caused it to clog up all the metering valves. It was quite a bit of work & expense to replace all the valves and since then I use only Mobil Vactra #2 on all my machines(just to be consistent). Obviously, I want to use the Vactra on the new machine. Any advice on getting the motor oil out of the system? I could just clean out the pump and hope for the best but?????? Any suggestions appreciated...

Re: Way Oil Conversion

I've heard folks pushing kerosene through the lines.

Re: Way Oil Conversion

You could use mineral spirits or kerosene like the other guys says. I would try to rig the metering unit directly to the pump so you direct all the pressure to it. If not unscrew the caps of the lines on the out flow of the units and watch the cleaning liquid drip out. I buy the metering units from Lube USA Welcome To Lube USA
    They call them flow units. The last time i bought some they were about $10.00 each. Or contact High Quality Tools Inc. - Milling machine replacement parts, cutting tools, and more who sells lube parts and they can help you as they sell Bridgeport parts and they have a Bijur lube system. When they are new they ooze out the oil and don't squirt out. Rich