585,906 active members*
4,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Toy Sailboat Design Script

Lightbulb Toy Sailboat Design Script

Here is a BOBCAD script that will design, skin and face a toy sailboat. You get to set key parameters, like length, width, depth, thickness and bow and stern angles. By choosing the appropriate parameters, I have designed (though never milled) sailboats, torpedoes, paddle boards and something that looks like a surfboard (sort of). I'm surprised at it's flexibility.

The BOBCAD design "instuctions.cad" contains more details about what the parameters control.

The BOBCAD script "createsailboat.bas" gets it done.

I created this script as a way to learn how to use BOBCAD and especially scripting. I would have cleaned it up with FUNCTIONS and SUBS, however, the gift giving season is here and frankly, I'm tired of "scripting".

CELY
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!

Angry Skin Problem!

First...
    Since I am new to this, I really didn't expect this script to work right out of the box...and it doesn't.

During the skinning process, the ends of the chains (at the bow and stern) become "frazzled" (can somebody tell me the correct drafting term) when the tool size in not 0. The bigger the tool, the worse the frazzle.

Second...
    What is the correct way to submit a problem to BOBCAD support? I did not purchase their support package, but I'm sure they would want to know.

Third...
    Is anybody thinking about milling a hull? If so, I would like to get one. I could even be talked into adding a flat to the stern to make it easier to attach a rudder and to the bottom to make it easier to attach a weighted keel.

Fourth...
    The angle at the bow and/or stern can be greater than 90 degrees (try 120 for the top, side and bottom stern angles). The result was not expected.

CELY
    Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part!