585,744 active members*
4,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Changing Rotary Table Position in Tormach Machine Simulation

Changing Rotary Table Position in Tormach Machine Simulation

I know this is probably trivially simple, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I am trying to set up a job with the rotary table positioned horizontally (i.e., with the rotation axis vertical). The Tormach machine definition in Sprut plunks the rotary table right in the center of the machine table. I want to move the rotary table to a different position on the machine table in both the X and Y directions, but I can't find any way to do it that doesn't automatically revert back to the original center position when I hit "Run."

Anyone got the answer? Thanks.

Re: Changing Rotary Table Position in Tormach Machine Simulation

I had this happen when I imported a Tormach vise into Sprut 8
    I had to fiddle with manually moving the vise to get it where I wanted.
    I later talked with Sprut about it and the 4th axis and was told that the models (vise, 4th axis) are basically diagrams for clearances and that I would not really need them to create parts.
    I am not sure if this is of any help but basically I only use them for rough clearance.
    There is a way to select the model and and move it like a part, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I had this happen when I imported a Tormach vise into Sprut 8
    I had to fiddle with manually moving the vise to get it where I wanted.
    I later talked with Sprut about it and the 4th axis and was told that the models (vise, 4th axis) are basically diagrams for clearances and that I would not really need them to create parts.
    I am not sure if this is of any help but basically I only use them for rough clearance.
    There is a way to select the model and and move it like a part, though.
    Rough Clearance?
    I guess but they can be used for very exact clearance also!
    I run cutters as close as 0.05 to fixtures and rely on sprut to generate tool paths that avoid them. "could run closer but I don't yet":
    The fixture system for sprut and how it is used is not easy nor intuitive to learn. After hours of use and work I have mastered the use of them in any coordinate system position and they model and simulate correctly and generate tool paths accordingly. I use vises, fixture plates, screws, t-nuts, clamps, washers and any other item that is used inside the mill envelope. Currently Im drawing 5c collet fixtures for both table and vise so I can add these to my fixture directory. Some of my next work will be thread milling and I want to index and center using the 5c system all inside of sprut and simulate the setup "8 sides in 1 program" until I have it all correct. .
    I must admit this takes time and is not easy even with experience. The results imho pay for the time spent. I can do multisided parts In 1 program and have them mill out 1st time correctly. "or close with tweaking" Yes im proud of this part! In 1 week I have used this mill for 6 months and broke 1 drill bit, 1 hamier probe tip and 2 taps.
    Imho this saves me broken tools and scrap parts when I take the time develop a complete fixture and mill plan.

Note I see few examples of this anywhere so I guess for the most part not many do this. From what I see most people run 1 program for each side and some for each operation. While that works I find no problem doing everything in 1 program and I don't end up with 1-?? tap files for 1 single part.
    Anyway I like to learn all the tech and after I get the complicated stuff down the rest will be easy right? hehe
    And sorry no help with 4th axis equipment yet. "soon"

md

dkaustin
    Did you get an answer to your question.

Check out SprutCam 8 - Machining Large Parts with a Vertical Rotary Axis on youtube

SprutCam 8 - Machining Large Parts with a Vertical Rotary Axis - YouTube

The video shows you how to set up the rotary in the vertical axis.

David

Thanks for posting, David.
    I have an 8" rotary table I want to use for a project and see that there are no 8" adjustable rotary table .STEP models available through Tormach to use on Sprut.
    The 6" is available, though.
    I guess I could try and 3D model the 8" table but my plan for now may be to use the 8" 3-jaw chuck .STEP model and tailstock .STEP model which Tormach has available and set it to the right angle/height as if there was an invisible 8" table.
    What do others do if they want to simulate with an 8" adjustable rotary table on Sprut?
    Thanks,
    CR

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Allen View Post
    dkaustin
    Did you get an answer to your question.

Check out SprutCam 8 - Machining Large Parts with a Vertical Rotary Axis on youtube

The video shows you how to set up the rotary in the vertical axis.

David

12/02/13 - SM10190: Rotary Table 8in 1113A (694 kb)
    IGS and STEP files for PN 30194 Rotary Table 8in Zip file includes: 30194 Rotary Table 8in.IGS 30194 Rotary Table 8in.STEP

8" Tables and Accessories | Tormach LLC providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

David

Thanks for the link, David.
    Sorry for any confusion, by adjustable I meant 8" 'tilting' rotary table. I don't think Tormach has plans do to a 3d model of it (or at least they didn't when I spoke with them 6 months ago).
    CR

12/02/13 - SM10190: Rotary Table 8in 1113A (694 kb)
    IGS and STEP files for PN 30194 Rotary Table 8in Zip file includes: 30194 Rotary Table 8in.IGS 30194 Rotary Table 8in.STEP

8" Tables and Accessories | Tormach LLC providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

David

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Thanks for the link, David.
    Sorry for any confusion, by adjustable I meant 8" 'tilting' rotary table. I don't think Tormach has plans do to a 3d model of it (or at least they didn't when I spoke with them 6 months ago).
    CR
    I wonder why?
    I see the reason this is not always important to have accurate models. I also see a reason I would want very accurate model!
    When tilting table is parallel to the x,y plane with a 4 jaw chuck and a part to be milled loaded. Add that height along with tool holder on the mill and the tool and I can see that space between tool and part is getting pretty small. Then again I guess I could draw it up myself if I need better model accuracy.
    md

Cad
    If it were me, I would draw your table in your 3d cad program, you would probably have a more accurate model.

David

You are right, David, that is what I should do. I am just being a little lazy.

Cad
    If it were me, I would draw your table in your 3d cad program, you would probably have a more accurate model.

David