585,568 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > EDM Discussion General Topics > EDM Cutting Conditions For FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OC and (alpha)-OiA

EDM Cutting Conditions For FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OC and (alpha)-OiA

Hello all,
    I am running both a FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OC and a FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OiA. To the best of my knowledge, they are essentially the same machine, with just a difference in production date. My company is currently using 0.001" diameter solid brass wire on the above stated machines to cut both PCD and carbide. I have two questions for all of you that I am very much hoping to have answered, and will appreciate anything you can provide / help me out with.

1) Does anybody else run either of these machines, or machines similar to them, and wish to share with me their cutting conditions. We are currently trying to increase the cutting speed of our machines and I've been put it charge of it even though I'm a newbie. By cutting conditions I mean machine settings like...
    -OFF time -ON time -No Load Voltage -Cutting Voltage -Servo Voltage -Wire Tension -Wire Feed -Flow Rate -Cutting Speed -Resistivity

2) Does anybody have experience with coated wires? I've been doing research into zinc coated copper wire and they are claiming speed increases of up to 30%. Is these results that I can expect to see myself? or are these results from a set of tests cutting straight lines with cutting parameters tweaked to the max by crazy professionals? Also does anyone have / wish to share the cutting conditions that you use for coated wires?

Again thank you all for any/all help that you can provide me on either of these two questions.

Re: EDM Cutting Conditions For FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OC and (alpha)-OiA

I used coated wire in other EDM machines (not Fanuc) and the increase of speed isn´t that much. I could increase speed between 15 ~20% in maximum conditions. Otherwise the price of these type of coated wire is quite expensive (in Brazil) double de price of a regular non-coated model.

Re: EDM Cutting Conditions For FANUC Robocut (alpha)-OC and (alpha)-OiA

Hello,

I'm running Fanuc (Alpha) 0iB. Same here regarding wire (0,25mm) solid brass. I try some different wires, but i didn't notice some big difference. Just in cost of the wire.....
    Regarding machine parameters, i leave ON time, by wire breaking enlarge OFF time by some amount. No load voltage i use approx. 10 larger than in machine parameters (When **** with wire breaking starts). I also enlarge point A and point b. For first cut i use 40% on parameters and 70-80% on 2 nd and 3rd.

With tapers, there is different world.....
    Best regards.