585,902 active members*
4,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Just got GibbsCam Advanced 3D, but I think I'm not doing it right. Let me explain....

Just got GibbsCam Advanced 3D, but I think I'm not doing it right. Let me explain....

I have a part I am cutting. It is a semi ellipse semi sphere as shown.

Attachment 240040

Now, if I take a regular contour pass using "contour" process with a regular square end mill, along the cross section of the profile tool, the machine will take a smooth pass, at the commanded feed rate.

When I use surface flow cut to make the entire surface using the 3d cutting method and a ball end mill, the machine will take very similar passes following the xy contour of the part, but the motion of the machine is very jerky and with a commanded speed of 100 inches per minute, the machine MAYBE goes 20 inches a minute and keeps pausing for short times and then cutting again for bursts of time.

Why does gibbscam program a nice machinable arc when it's a single pass, but during the surface flow cut, despite having only xy movements, with a step in z, the movements are very jerky and slow with lots of pauses.

My thinking is that if I was to manually use the profile tool and do a .01" Z step from the top to the bottom and manually create all 180 or so passes along the z, it would work just fine.

I know I'm missing something, so maybe someone could shed some light? Is there a way to use that same smooth arc pass but in mass quantity on several hundred z steps, but do it automatically with one of the surface or advanced 3d commands?

Re: Just got GibbsCam Advanced 3D, but I think I'm not doing it right. Let me explain

That can sometimes be caused by the geometry of the solid model. Weird things can also happen with gouge protection turned on. Can you post some screens of your process settings?

Re: Just got GibbsCam Advanced 3D, but I think I'm not doing it right. Let me explain

I am having the same issues and it is quite concerning as it seems to be quite hard on the machine. Every software I have used in the past seems to output rather seamless linear moves and not very jerky point to point type moves. Could this be a post issue as well?
    Attachment 249290

It could be that at 100IPM the controller can't keep up. My 15M Enshu vertical can't keep up with code like that but my Toyoda with an 18i has no problem. Check the spline tolerance in "Preferences". Try increasing the tolerance and reducing the feed rate.

Attachment 249996
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."