585,752 active members*
3,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap China Plasma Cutter.

Hey Guys. I just bought a cutter. The price was right, because I really need a cutter now. If it will last a couple years, I will be happy. The price was right I think. Here is a link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-Promo-Sale...QQcmdZViewItem

Any experience with a cheap cutter like this?
    I basically wanted it for handheld cutting to start with. I had been wanting to get an oxy/propane cutter for awhile and just really didn't want to fool with the Oxy bottles, deposits and the like.
    I have a small bandsaw and it does a great job, but is limited.
    I think this may be more versatile for me.

What short comings does this have if I wanted to automate it?
    I have a CNC outer that I blt. I am in the process of building a small CNC mill right now. A small plasma rig seems like a next logical step.
    I know torch ignition or THC will be at the forefront. Any suggestions on how to implement this on such a machine?
    I typically cut 11, 12 and 13 gage crs sheet for my parts. I use the bandsaw in vertical position now. I'm think it may go a lot faster with plasma.
    Thoughts?

I just contacted this seller and asked about an upgrade. He agreed to it for the Mitech 40. It cuts a little thicker and has a few more features.

Features:
    High cutting frequency, up to 16mm
    With arc maintenance device, applicable to automatic cutting equipment
    Touch and untouch arc initiation
    Stable arc, long working time
    Main technical parameters:
    Power voltage (V): AC 220
    Power factor: 0.93
    Rated input current (A): 15.9
    No-load loss (W): 40
    Output current (A): 10-40
    Housing protection grade: IP21
    Max thickness (mm): 16
    Rated output voltage (V): 96
    Rated output current (A): 10-40
    Insulation grade: B
    Duty cycle (%): 60
    Efficiency (%): 85
    Power frequency: 50Hz
    Weight (kg): 9
    Measurement (cm): 37 x 16 x 30
    Comes with a one year warranty

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plasma-Cutter-Mi...QQcmdZViewItem

The main reason for the upgrade was the mention of an arc maintenance device.
    Just what does that do?
    Lee

Looks like a nice machine. Maybe you can use it in a plasma table?

The machine did come in. I have tested it a little. Seems to work geat. Just as I had hoped so far. I have some 7/16" plate that I need to cut next with it. I will post my results and pics when I get it done.
    So far it works as advertized. I don't foresee many problems mounting this in a machine.
    Lee

Looking forward to your results. When I looked at the pictures on ebay, I was a little concerned about its ability to cut thicker material. After you get a few test runs in, a picture of the results would be great. Congrats on a nice little find.

What about the consumables?

do you need special ones or is there a one size fits all for these? I have a miller spectrum 625, and Im working on getting a cnc plasma table, I will buy this just for the table at that price if consumables are resonable for it. I spent over 1600.00 just on my miller.

Consumables are decently priced on Ebay. Make sure they are the 30 to 40 amp type for this machine. They have them for different sized machines, but basically all the Chinese made cutters seem to use the same style depending on size.
    Shop around though. There are two different lengths. The longer ones are bigger as well and I imagine are meant for thicker material.
    The machine came with a set of these.
    I bought the shorter replacements from this seller.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Consumables-for-...QQcmdZViewItem
    He sells the same machine for $1000.
    He doesn't sell the longer consumables though.
    We had a big storm here this afternoon, so I didn't get to cut this column top yet. I will do it first thing in the AM though.
    Lee