585,883 active members*
5,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Modified Lathe Splash Guard!

Now its time to modify a lathe Splash Guard!

Last week I modified the chip pan on my lathe so it would drain properly, but now I have a problem with coolant spraying on my face and shoes! :drowning:

So I went to eBay and bid on a piece of White Neoprene Rubber that was 3'x3'x.062"
    Then I took the chip guard off the lathe and traced the contour on to a piece of sheet aluminum, and band sawed the arched part to use as a clamp for the rubber!

Then I traced the chip guard contour on to the rubber sheet, and cut it out with a scissor.

Then I clamped the whole mess together to see what it would look like, then I drilled several small holes in the aluminum strip, and tapped them for #6-32 screws. Then I clamped it all together again and drilled the lexan chip guard, and the rubber.

I had a box of #6-32 stainless steel button head screws, left over from another project, that were exactly 3/8" in length! Perfect for this project!

Now I have a nice splash guard for my lathe, and the coolant does not get on my face, even at 2000 RPM! Next project is to add a coolant pump to my mill!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0697.JPG   000_0698.JPG   000_0699.JPG   000_0700.JPG  

000_0701.JPG   000_0702.JPG   000_0703.JPG   000_0704.JPG  

000_0705.JPG   000_0706.JPG  

splash guard

very nice work...I hate getting coolant on myself...keep up the good ideas...

Love the guard, Widgit. Have pointed some fellas over on HSM board to it as they are also wanting such a thing. Where did you get the lexan piece?

I know I have seen it in someone's flyers, but couldn't track it down. I need to build one for my lathe as well. I'm thinking of just getting some flat lexan sheet and bending it over a form with a heat gun. I want something long enough to take the full travel of my 9x30 lathe. I'll tackle the project after I get done with my never ending CNC conversion.

Best,

BW

That looks absolutely great. does it get hard to see through as the spray and chips stick to it (cloudy?) or does it all run off and you can still see through it just fine

Actually, the lexan guard just covers the chucks, and the parts are still visible!
    I appologize for giving everyone the impression I made the lexan guard, as it is a "FLEX-BAR" brand which I got from Enco!

What I did was modify it so the white rubber covers the back of the chuck, and the area parallel to the ways has a flap of rubber to keep the spray and drips off the floor and my shoes!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0704.JPG  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

It's still another great idea for others to use. Two Thumbs Up Widgitmaster.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com