584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > 3040T-DJ CNC Router - Machine Makes Odd Noise And Looses Position

3040T-DJ CNC Router - Machine Makes Odd Noise And Looses Position

Hey guys,
    I am in the process of setting up a 3040T-DJ CNC Routing machine. I have been following the directions exactly so far. I can use the arrow keys and page up/down keys to move the spindle around and everything seems to be functioning perfectly. (Using Mach 3 demo version).

When I zero out all of the coordinates, then move the spindle to some arbitrary location, I then click the "GOTO ZERO" button. The machine moves in the direction, then there is kind of a pause/jerk, and an odd noise, it then continues and stops at what it thinks is zero. It is off... it seems like when the pause/jerk happens, it looses some of its position somehow. I want to add, that the connection between the stepper motor and the threaded rod is solid, so its not slipping or anything like that.

Can you guys give me any advice on what to do? I'm pretty stumped.
    I also took a video demonstrating the test, and so you can hear the noise it makes. Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated!

Video URL: http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/3040t-dj...eshooting1.mp4
    http://www.Jattus.com/Dump2/3040t-dj...eshooting1.mp4

Re: 3040T-DJ CNC Router - Machine Makes Odd Noise And Looses Position

Since I can move the spindle around perfectly fine with the arrow keys (and clicking the direction buttons in mach 3), does this mean that its a software/configuration problem? Only when I click the "GOTO ZERO" button is when it acts up (and when I try to cut a g-code file, it looses its position several times mid-way through the cut).?

I am hoping someone with your type machine would chime in.
    If the motor couplers are tight and the axis screws have no movement, it may be in the control box electronics or mach3 settings.

You might try lowering the rapid and acceleration settings in Mach......... I've read(somewhere) that loss steps can come from those settings being to high.

Sorry I can't be more help,
    jack
    Walking is highly over-rated

Well... after going back and forth between the seller of the machine, they told me to just return the machine, because apparently know one knows what is going on. I decided against doing that since shipping will be expensive. I ordered the Gecko Nema23 controller and their stepper motors, and just installed them. Sure enough... I get the EXACT same problem. It has to be the computer, software related, or a setting in mach 3... though I have no idea what it could be. The computer meets the requirements for Mach 3 as well.

You are deffinately experiencing a lost step issue. What is your acceleration set at under motor tuning? Just keep lowering it by 500 or so until it stops. If it doesn't work below 2000 then there is some major electrical interfence going on in the area. It sound silly but you can try wrapping the wires to the steppers in aluminum foil. Seems to work for most. Only do this is you do determine there is electrical interference in your area. People with VFD driven spindles usually only have that problem though (VFD produce a lot of electrical noise). If your stepper motor wires have a shielding layer you can also wire the shielding layer into your actual ground (not your power supply neutral, theres a difference)

EDIT: Sorry im a mm guy so my numbers might not make sense to you. Either way just start lowing your acceleration in 10% increments or so.

Thanks for the reply! I started lowering both the acceleration and velocity by half and testing it out. The problem is still there. About once per second, the machine freezes for a split second. I'm currently reformatting the computer and will see if that helps... the machine was running very slugishly.
    On a side note... when I connect power to the Nema 23 control box... the stepper motors have a background noise... sort of a hissing sound. Is this normal?

Are you running any anti virus software on the computer? If yes, try to disable it.

Sent fra min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

I believe there was antivirus software on the computer.

So I formatted the computer, re-installed everything, and everything works perfectly now! I did a few sample cuts with some sample g-code files... flawless.

I pushed the "Tab" key to bring up the manual control, and the computer goes back to the state that it was in before (everything is extremely sluggish... minimizing/maximizing windows goes in slow motion). And the problem comes back. I actually had to restart the computer to make the problem go away, and now everything works again.

What could be the cause of this?