584,814 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Need Opinion! Multiple Machines from 1 control box, Relays, Switches???

View Poll Results: How to Control Multiple Machines with 1 control box?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plethora of toggle switches

0 0%
  • Relays tied to one toggle switch

0 0%
  • Some Other Mehod (please post it)

0 0%
  • DONT DO IT!!!!!

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Need Opinion! Multiple Machines from 1 control box, Relays, Switches???

I currently have 2 machines and 1 control box, and i have a way that I have been doing it and making it work for awhile. I will post my method after getting a handful of others opinions or methods. I am getting ready to build a new control box after making multiple changes and adding more and more to it, as it has become too small and very tight/cluttered. I haven't had any performance problems with my method that i am aware of, but am curious if anyone else is doing this, and how, besides unplugging and swapping motor cables. I have thought of a couple ways, maybe a handful of switches, or some relays tied to one switch (coils produce a problem?) but what do you guys think? If you dont think it should be done, then post that up also. I am using G203V drives, so there is a good layer of protection for the unthinkable.

To clarify, only 1 machine would be running at a time, and right now both machines use the same size of motors, so the switching would be done after the gecko drive G203Vs on the way to the motors, and (IMPORTANT!) would only be switched when the control box is off.

Brian

Re: Need Opinion! Multiple Machines from 1 control box, Relays, Switches???

Anyone?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

100 views and no response yet, any ideas? Has this never been done?

Brian

On my router and development system, I use an AB data switch between the computer and two breakout boards. Then I have separate ini (xml) files that can be loaded for each system. Switching motors to me would not work as each setup will need a bit different tuning to make the motor work right and possibly have different pin outs for different functions. This is also the plan I intend to use between my lathe and mill (when the lathe is finished converting) and as an example, the lathe will have only two axis whereas the mill has 4. This will free up 4 pins for other uses!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

all I have done it using four pole double throw switches that are only switched when the control box is off. these are placed between the drives and the motor cable connectors. and I have another four pole double throw switch that changes a couple of inputs to the breakout board for like a probe. obviously I cannot change the current set resistor but it settings work with both machines now I just have two different XML files with different step settings in mach to turn the motors the appropriate amount for the machines. it works but the four pole switches are really big and it adds a lot of extra wiring. I was thinking the relay method might work better as they could be mounted right by the drives and then mounting the connectors close to the drives also for the motors and then there wouldn't be too terrible much wiring and maybe one switch to activate all the relays. basically what this is doing is in a sense unplugging the motor connectors and plugging in the other machines motor connectors except for doing it with a switcu or relay instead of physically. with the relay method though in the powered position state I would need to make sure they were activated before the drives receive power or there could be a problem. there are a couple of methods that I think I could use, using different types of relays. one of my machines doesn't use as many drives the other so I would have to relay or switch switch on the disable function on that drive, or just not supply DC power to that drive to make it active.

Brian

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2