585,994 active members*
4,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Importing DXF's into V19 ???

Importing DXF's into V19 ???

I just received V19 this week and I tried today to import a dxf file that I had done in AC2000 and exported in AC12. The file seemed to import OK but only appeared as a dot on my screen. I did manage to find it with extents zoom and it looks OK, question is how to I import the correct size and how do I enlage the screen version so I can work with it??
    Is there a scale on import setting I am missing???
    It's only my second day so be kind.....

Tom Marino in PA

Hi Tom,

I don't have Bobcad 19 to inspect, but I have had similar experiences sometimes, with some dxf files. For what it is worth, I usually make sure nothing is blanked and do a select all. This sometimes will show some kind of a weird structure off somewhere in the drawing, that, as far as I can tell, is garbage, but because it exists, this could be the reason why your real drawing is so teensy weensy: everything is in view, including the garbage. So select the garbage area with a zoom select and delete it or blank it, then try a view all again.

Chances are, your part will be okay, without resizing.

Oh, check your units of export, and make sure it matches up with your Bobcad environment units. Perhaps this might throw things off scale.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yep

Howdy Hu....
    TGM, that's one way to deal with it. I would have to review the dxf file to see what exactly is going on and how to instruct you further.
    CNC dude

Import DXF???

I tried the above and I still get this little blip on the screen. I can zoom the hell out of it and see it but what a pain. Then when i go to apply a dimension to it to check the size I can't read the dimension and I have to zoom in on that. This could get old real quick. FWIW I drew another file using the same program settings and the pc. was 3" x 4" and that came on screen fine. The part in question is 96" long and 2.25" wide with a 58' curve in it.
    I have tried a number of these files from two different CAD programs with the same result.
    What next????

Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom in PA

To the rescue......

OK TGM,
    Here's what you need to do. Email me the file that you are working with to [email protected]. I will open the file and have a look. Call me tomorrow at 877-262-2231 ext 12 and I will help walk you through this situation right over the phone. I want to make sure that you get the help you need.
    Sincerely,
    CNC dude

The other day i imported (to BobCAD 18 & BobWire) an AutoCAD dxf. It came out as a blip as well. In the end it was not anything on my side but the parameters (line thickness) on the AutoCAD side that caused me frustration......
    The guy resend me an iges and everything was OK!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Import DXF trouble.................

Klox,

Thanks for the tip. I am working on that thought right now.
    I have sent a few files to CNCDude at Bobcad so we should resolve the problem shortly.

Thanks again,

Tom Marino

Tom,
    sometimes when i battle to open dxf files, i import them into CorelDRAW 9, save it as a CorelDRAW dxf, export to V18, save it as a V18 dxf and then open it with my V16 for Wire. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it takes a only a few minutes.....(NO stress! LOL!)
    I think it has to do with different types of font(?)
    AotoCAD 2000 Iges works very well if you import it straight into V16 for Wire.
    I haven't played around with V19 yet, so i'm sorry that i can't be of any help at this stage. I'm sure CNCdude will straighten things out in a jiffy....

Keep well,

Klox
    *** KloX ***

Just a reminder, when opening an Acad dxf in Bob Cad you have to close Acad completely. I don't know if this is the same for 2000, but it definetly is for 2002.
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.

Dimensioning

In working with Toms files it became clear that you cannot put an angle dimension between and arc and a line. They must be the same entities. Therefore, draw a reference line and use that to get the angle dimension. I did this to Toms file and emailed it back to him as an example. In addition, To use the POINT, END function for snapping points to geometry you have to turn off the AUTO-PRESELECT option in the environment settings. This makes that function modal. Otherwise the first point that you snap will be selected and you can't snap a point to a point. I have also found that on the importing of DXF files, you may end up with point all over the screen. I am not sure why this happens but it is easy to select the points and simply delete them. Then hit your view all button and the drawing will be larger and clearer. BobCAD support may be able to provide more answers in this area than I.
    CNC dude

Set Pixel Error

We have discovered that in rare cases when saving a drawing, you may get what comes up as a "set pixel error." What happened is that the drawing was saved but the preview of the drawing was not. Therefore, when you go to look for the drawing later, it will be there and will be OK but you will not be able to see a preview of it. There is an option in the environment settings of the software that can be adjusted to fix this. I am looking further into it and I know that there will be a fix for this that all customers will receive.

Corel users should use the TRACE function, and then maybe SKETCH. Then attempt to use this to import as a dxf into BobCAD. I have tested it and I have had it work. However, I have also had intricate pictures sometimes come in with missing geometry or just flat out garbage. After investigation I believe this has to do with the way Corel saves and exports the geometry. I won't say that this is a BobCAD problem yet. We are working on a program that will allow you to vectorize pictures and carve them or machine them. This program will be available in the future but is just not ready at this time.
    CNC dude

It sounds interesting. For example can you scan a picture into CorelDraw or MGI photo suite import it into this software your working in, vectorize the image and create g-codes or do you scan it directly into the mentioned software....

Klox
    *** KloX ***

Vectorizing pictures

Hi Klox,
    It will be a something simple. Import a photo or jpeg or bitmap and turn it into toolpath for BobCAD to produce code for. It's a little premature to start talking about the functionality for this. Right now the priority is V19. We have future plans for a wire upgrade, the software mentioned above, V20 and other important items. I will keep you posted.
    Sincerely,
    CNC dude

CNCdude,
    There's a saying " there's beauty in simplicity". I can think of all the Donald Ducks, Garfields, Bugs Bunny & other cartoon characters to import and make nice key holders and gifts on the Edm! What about corporate logo's etc made from solid brass sheet etc.... Yeah, Yeah i know there's already software that can do these type of thing but remember i'm an artisan not a graphic designer and i can wreak havoc on a PC!! LOL!!
    Sorry for getting prematurely impatient, is there a possibilty on maybe giving us a guestimate release time for Wire V20?

Keep well

Klox
    *** KloX ***