584,330 active members*
6,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying cnc plasma table

Hello everyone, I'm the new guy here with the same question you have heard about 100 times.

I'm looking to buy a CNC table for my plasma, I just got a Miller Spectrum 1000 80 amp machine that cuts up too 1" and is supposed to sever up too 1 1/2 inch. I got that machine with the intent of also getting a cnc table.

I been looking at this site all day reading other peoples post on the machines. Today I've spoken to dynaCNC, plasmacam and torchmate and gotten quotes. I was also going to contact Practicalcnc, dynatorch and tracker (trackers site is down)

Plasmacam didn't seem to excited about having my business and after reading what people have to say about them I'm going to guess that's their customer service. but they are inexpensive, I can get in under 10k for a 48"x48" and ready to ship. I have an old customer that has the plasmacam so I can check it out first hand.

Torchemate seems to be a good option and it's in between in cost (about 11.5K for a 48"x96") customer service seems good. their machine doesn't look super refined, but they have been doing it for years, but I have to wait about 3 weeks to get it.

DynaCNC is the best looking machine by far, comes ready to play, but is expensive (about 12k for a 48"x48") and takes about 5 weeks to get.

We do trailer mfg, so we need something to cut 1/8"-1/2" on average, although sometimes something thicker. doing the fancy artsy stuff is cool too, but not really why we want this machine, but good to have the ability of doing artsy stuff.

I know that a lot of people take the software into consideration as a big part of the system they choose, I consider myself pretty good with computers so it's not much of an issue, I rather have a machine that functions properly and besides If I run into software problems I can always ask here!

with all that said, what are you're thoughts on the machines? Personal experiences? likes & dislikes? options?

your help is appreciated when making a purchase of this size.

Thank you in advance!

The deciding factor in your case should be the strength and durability of the machine, good support (since it's a commercial app and downtime is expensive) and a machine that minimizes scrap. A quality THC is important. It's not obvious but in a production environment being able to quickly preset the THC parameters for cutting different materials, thicknesses and tip types is an important feature. Don't settle for a THC that does not allow for that and give you detailed feedback (torch volts, status indicators, automatic touch off (surface referencing) etc. Having good control of the cutting process means less scrap. 1/2" steel is not cheap. You will find that being able to control the height of the tip gap to a tight tolerance is critical and good units will hold that to about 1.5 volt (1%) or less. 3 volts of change can translate to .050 in tip gap and when you are cutting at .063 on some settings that can cause cut quality problems.

Heavy plates of steel are tough on a machine and you need one that will handle the stress over a long term. A lot of the features are not out there in the pictures to see. Things like bearing size and type, shaft sizes, the control electronics, smoothness of operation, ease of setup and future repairability.

Join the CNCMANUALPLASMACUTTER yahoo group and talk with guys that have built their own machines and others that have commercial units. There are thousands or DIY builders out there in the small shop and hobby world. They are a wealth of information. The CADCAMEDMDRO (CCED) list has almost 10,000 users and its primarily for people building /retrofitting their own machines (routers, mills, Plasma).

If you are looking to buy a table and get it in a week then your options diminish. The good manufacturers stay backlogged. These are not done through a dealer network like cars where the dealer places orders with a factory and then has them on the "lot" for you to walk in and buy. Before you spent that kind of money (especially for a machine for commercial cutting) get references from each company for customers that are using the machine commercially on a daily basis. If you can a trip to the two finalists with a list of tests you would like to see will insure you get the table that is the best value. Notice I said "Value" and not "price".

You may have a lot of compute experience and it will help but there are steep learning curves on a lot of the packages to get good files that will run. Some mfg's use open systems and controllers that can be fixed and supported by third parties in case they happen to close their doors. Try not to get involved in systems that are heavily proprietary (ie they are they only ones that can support/fix/replace items).

If you would like a list of objective criteria for use to compare products you can contact me off list. I have made it public that I design and build CNC controls including a THC. More importantly is that you know I cut steel for a living too and it was that company and it's needs that drove my initial designs. I know the issues that the guy in the shop staring at the flame faces.

I have a PracticalCNC. Have no complaints about it, but have only had it a few months and haven't cut anything thicker than 1/2" yet. I'd get a 4X8 table though if you can swing it. I'd be leary of the Plasmacam.
    And whoever you go with, I'd try to pick it up or at least get some training on it from them if at all possible. I know it helped me.