585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Eliminating tool markings on profile operations - full depth finish pass?

Eliminating tool markings on profile operations - full depth finish pass?

Is the solution to my problem a full depth finish pass?
    I am cutting MDF and especially alun is several passes and I can see some markings.

To be more specific lets talk about the alum. It is 0.25" T6 being cut at 20 IPM with a 2 flute endmill with 16 passes. I don't really see 16 lines on the side of my piece, but I do see 2-3.
    I am cutting the part conventional and it looks much better then the remaining stock which by nature is getting a climb cut.

I am thinking that I could do a full depth pass at 10 ipm and skim 0.005 or the part ? - not sure, this is where I look to you guys for help.

PS: how do you deal with this situation when the tool is not as deep or deeper than the stock ?

Re: Eliminating tool markings on profile operations - full depth finish pass?

16 depth passes? How deep are you profiling? 20ipm on a 2 flute? is it carbide? hat size is it? 20ipm and a 2 flute sounds awfully slow, what machine are you running? you can run an uncoated carbide 2 flute 1/2" at 150ipm at 7500rpm and .150 deep in aluminum all day long. if its profiling the smaller the width of cut the deeper it can go, i wouldnt be scared to run it 150ipm 7500rpm at 1" deep profiling off .06 width of cut, finish pass full depth at 7500rpm and 50ipm, all day long lookin like a mirror.

Re: Eliminating tool markings on profile operations - full depth finish pass?

as far as tool not having the flute length of the thickness of the part, either get a longer cutter or run your finish pass in 2 depth cuts and rub the top of your endmill, if its a high speed endmill it wont rub since the cutter has the same diameter on the shank as the flutes, carbide is a different story, the flutes have a diameter of about .002" less than the shank so it will rub.