585,665 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

deep drilling tool needed

I am looking for an insertable drill to cut .531 to a depth of over 4.600. I can only find a insertable spade drill, but I have used them before, and I don't think it will be rigid enough. I am only cutting t-6 alum. but I want (need) speed.

Any help would be great!
    Buddy
    p.s. my company is cheap as hell when it comes to spending the $$, so having one made is out of the question.

Buddy, If you have the spindle speed capability to use them, some version of gun drill should do the job. I cut similar holes in one pass 10" deep 40 years ago. You can use a "speeder" such as sold by BIG which also introduces coolant thru the spindle at high pressure to flush out chips. This set-up works fine on ductile iron also. DZASTR
    DZASTR

Bijur makes a nice product but realy 4.6" isn't all that deep hss drill with a high speed peck cycle would do it, OR you can try Iscar's chamdrill line.

AJL

Buddy,

CJT makes a .5312 standard..

Here:
    http://www.cjtkoolcarb.com/catalog/K...0/style170.htm
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oops Sorry I missed the "insert-able" part of your post..my mistake..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549
    Bijur makes a nice product but realy 4.6" isn't all that deep hss drill with a high speed peck cycle would do it, OR you can try Iscar's chamdrill line.

AJL
    The iscar chamdrill line only goes to 8X dia. That only gets me to 4.25 deep. Other then that, the chamdrill is what I am looking for.

Thanks
    Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wms
    Buddy,

CJT makes a .5312 standard..

Here:
    http://www.cjtkoolcarb.com/catalog/K...0/style170.htm
    Who sells CJT? Is is sold independently or are they sold thru a supply co.?

MSC stocks them..page 103 2005/2006 book..

Buddy,

Just looked Kennametal makes a 10x insert drill body..

Here: http://www.kennametal.com/en/new_cat...equestid=72761

Then search: KSEM10XD ROUND SHK
    Then click on the link:KSEM0531R10SS075

Good luck.

Can I ask, why are you limiting yourself to Insert Tooling?
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

Arrow Seco Carboloy

Seco Carboloy has a new line of insert type and insert spade drills. You may want to check out their website www.carboloy.com
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

OSG and Titex both offer carbide, coolant fed, deep hole drills up 30XD. If you have a high RPM spindle with good through the spindle coolant pressure, these things can really fly.

hss or a carbide tip drill is sufficient why pay the big bucks to drill a simple hole that is by no means deep especially aluminum , start the hole with a stubby then fly with the longer drill

Actually there are a whole lot of factors when considering what type of drill to attack your application with.

First off, I'd like to thank wms for the referral . Unfortunately, the series 170 isn't necessarily the best bet for low silicon (gummy, stringy crap) aluminum because the straight flute lacks a positive rake angle at the cutting edge and has a problem breaking a chip in that type of material.

Some things to consider when picking a drill: What type of machine are you on? How much coolant pressure are you working with? And a big one - How many parts are you producing? Is it one 500 piece run, or will you be making 10,000 a week for the next 5 years?

Check www.carboloy.com you don't want a "Spade Drill" you need an "Indexable Insert Drill" like this one

http://www.secotools.com/upload/nort...fo%20Promo.pdf

I didn't do the research for your tool size but here is the PDF.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Check www.carboloy.com you don't want a "Spade Drill" you need an "Indexable Insert Drill" like this one
    I have been using both spade and indexable for years and while the High end is typicaly Insert drill territory I wouldn't hesitate to use one (spade drill) for an application like this. Although for that matter a cobalt drill with the proper tip would probably work as well. but as the previous post said You really need more information.

Why did you quote jct in your post a 170 like he is talking about isn't a spade drill and he stated that he wouldn't neccessarily pick that drill for alum???
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_At_CJT
    ... Some things to consider when picking a drill: What type of machine are you on? How much coolant pressure are you working with? And a big one - How many parts are you producing? Is it one 500 piece run, or will you be making 10,000 a week for the next 5 years?...
    and can you go in with a pilot drill just to open up as deep as you can or can you flip part and go from both sides?

i don t get it ,its a small hole in aluminum

inexperience!

give him time, he will be drilling 10x dia in no time!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Take a look at Allied spade drills. They use a 8620 shank that is plenty tough for what you need and they have lengths you wouldnt believe. If you have spindle through coolant you can make ultra short work of that type of job

Page 1 of 2 12