584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tos FN20 down

It has been awhile since I have posted or been active on this form. The issue at hand is that the 16 year old 150MHZ computer on my conversion has crashed. The computer that ran the mill was an AOpen AP5T mother board that used an Intel PP/MT150MHZ processor. The simplest solution would be to find another computer main board and swap it out. Can't find one on ebay. This build used a printer port and break out board to control the servos. Like I said it has been awhile since I have read on this form. Any suggestions of what I should be looking for to get my mill up and running again. I really don't want to change drives and servo's. A few links to get me in the right direction and an opinion or two is all that I am asking. Thanks for your consideration.

TonyK.
    Ark1

Re: Tos FN20 down

I don't think there's much future in that computer, even if you could find a new motherboard and managed to install it. While it's hard to find a new computer with a parallel port, it's not impossible. The Atom, for instance, is a small form-factor computer that still has them built in: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...802311738.html

You can also look for another old computer, which are often available quite cheaply, or use a new computer and a USB adapter like the UC100 to substitute for the parallel (printer) port.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Tos FN20 down

Quote Originally Posted by Ark1 View Post
    It has been awhile since I have posted or been active on this form. The issue at hand is that the 16 year old 150MHZ computer on my conversion has crashed. The computer that ran the mill was an AOpen AP5T mother board that used an Intel PP/MT150MHZ processor. The simplest solution would be to find another computer main board and swap it out. Can't find one on ebay. This build used a printer port and break out board to control the servos. Like I said it has been awhile since I have read on this form. Any suggestions of what I should be looking for to get my mill up and running again. I really don't want to change drives and servo's. A few links to get me in the right direction and an opinion or two is all that I am asking. Thanks for your consideration.

TonyK.
    Ark1
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to this email. I think you are correct as I can find 200 used computers on ebay with printer ports and XP. That will be the most simple way to get my Mill up and running again. I will have to figure out how to get Mach3 on the new computer or if I need to purchase a new licence. If I can get the new computer I can work with the monitor and key board and possibly down load from Mach. It has been a while since I did this conversion and I know that things have progressed, but I really don't want to start over with new servos, power supplies and tech to get to the same place again.
    Thanks so much. TonyK. ( Ark1)