585,591 active members*
2,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > I just bought a NM200 x2 and a complete second set of castings of a NM200 x1

I just bought a NM200 x2 and a complete second set of castings of a NM200 x1

Hi,

I just bought a NM200 x2 and a complete second set of castings of a NM200 x1. Local to the Canadian west coast.

The second set of castings was part of some complex warranty arrangement with Novakon. I was told the v2 mill had issues with the saddle. The previous owner had to surface grind the ways to square and level it up. Eventually the second mill saddle was also surface ground.

He showed me the second saddle on a surface plate with a half thou. indicator. It barely moved traversing the full length of the saddle. Nice.

I was told that a difference in castings between v2 and v1 mills is a difference in column height. I guess the second version the column base was reduced in height to lessen the cutting tool to table distance. The fully assembled mill has been modified. It has the version 1 column base so the head sits higher. A heavy box was added behind the spindle head to lower it closer to the table for normal cutting, but then the head can be positioned in its normal location for extended 4th axis clearance.

He also fit the table with a nice coolant containment system. Both sides have formed troughs down the length. As it builds in the t-slots and spills over the coolant runs into and exits the troughs to the right of the table. Nothing to help with splashing coolant though.

There is also a modified way cover system on the machine. He showed me that the accordion style factory covers don't actually cover the ways. This would allow coolant and chips to collect contaminating the ways. There is also a z axis cove.

Personally I would prefer this setup. I'm currently working on another knee type CNC mill with sliding metal way covers. Probably when someone was using an air line to clean up they drive contaminants into the saddle. I'm now replacing an expensive y-axis screw and nut. I hate chips!

The ways and linear bearings are absolutely spotless. I guess all this care in assembling the machine is what gave me the confidence to buy it/them.

The one thing wrong with the machine is the spindle bearings need replacement. I have the spindle apart and it looks like only the upper set is damaged. Sent Novakon an email inquiring about bearing or spindle replacements. Have also been following the "Re: The order has been placed - The beginning of a custom Torus Pro" I like that BT30 spindle.

Still undecided about the second mill. Complete it, or sell it. Not like I'm going to need any casting replacements.

That's it for now. Will post my discoveries and photos when I get more time.

Dave

Re: I just bought a NM200 x2 and a complete second set of castings of a NM200 x1

Dave.
    Did you ever figure out if you wanted to complete the second mill or sell it?

Thank You
    Rob