584,849 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Tabletop Shaper

hi I've just joined the forum although I've been on to have a read for a few years so I would like to share a project that has kept me entertained for a couple of years in my spare time.
    about 2.5 years ago I came across David J Gingery's book on making a tabletop shaper and was totally taken by his concept and thought to myself that when I retire I would go about making one.
    One day whilst at work I mentioned the book to a pal of mine who was a jig borer and he got interested ( I was a cnc Programer/miller).
    The upshot of it all was that we didn't wait for retirement we sat down over a few evenings and decided to use the dimensions more or less that the Gingery shaper had but design wise we decided to
    prefabricate rather than cast and we went our own way on many things .I first of all modeled it and then built it in 3d to check it out before we started to cut metal and we made a brace of shapersAttachment 241770 Attachment 241766
    Above are a couple of pictures but we still need to do things to finish it of ,at the moment I'm experimenting with different adjustable drive belts and pulleys .
    All the machining was done in our spare time as I have AMA25LV mill and a mini lathe CJ623B in my home workshop .
    Actually this project sidetracked me from my cnc router project now that I'm retired I can start to play catch up:cheers:

Re: Tabletop Shaper

I love it!

I know shapers are outdated now, but for me they are a source of enjoyment, such a great machine, I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced one for a few years now myself.

What a great project, love to see more!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

That is a very nice piece ,I remember 35 years ago using a mid sized one.

I loving that beautiful piece of craftsmanship.......... Well Done!

Brings back memories from my youth.
    Walking is highly over-rated

Hi all
    I'm glad you like my shaper and I will post some more pictures and comments as to how the assembly actually started ,I will try and do it chronologically as the machine developed, many thanks for your comments
    Richard :cheers:

Beautiful machine. Well done.

As promised here are some more photos on the journey to making this machine .
    Although I'm posting this I would like to make clear there were two of us building designing so its not just me its also my friend Ray he drew on paper and I made it happen in Solidworks whilst he did a lot on his Jenny at work in his dinner time I did a lot at home in the evenings
    Attachment 242124
    this is the crossfeed drive gear I cut it on my AMA25LV mill bougth from Amadeal.co.uk
    Attachment 242126
    this is just before I started to build ,we decided at the very begining to go with brass slides and gib strips ,we needed to have oil working from front to back so we sunk the brass retaining screws and then machined in 3mm oil transfer channels..
    if you have any questions please post I cant answer right away but when I get here I promise I will.

A beautiful build of a very interesting machine.
    I see also that you designed in some lubrication grooves - which the Gingery plans do not provide for (I bought the book while investigating this).

It has been years since your last post, I hope you are well and still involved. I would love to see you continue the photo-essay of your build.
    Plus, if possible, I would love to examine your CAD model.

I too will follow this and interested,