584,826 active members*
5,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > post processor development

post processor development

We are considering Featurecam. One thing that concerns us is the ease of developing post processors.

I've heard the promises before from other CAM vendors and am skeptical (to put it gently). We want to be able to develop our own posts, not pay for them, and not spend countless hours deciphering spaghetti code.

How does Featurecam's post methodology compare to Mastercam's?
    Is their post language documented?
    Is the documentation accurate and readable?
    Do I need to attend a class to learn how to write post processors?
    Can someone direct me to a non-marketing-oriented URL where I can learn more?

Thanks in advance;
    Doug

FeatureCam Posts

You can go to there website anf download the complete manual for Post editing.
    here's the link. http://www.featurecam.com/support/download.htm Just click on the latest version of Featurecam to download and fill out the form and you can download an evaluation copy and give it a test drive. You will see the manuals in PDF form.
    Hope this helps.
    Barry

doug6949,

I have been using FeatureCAM (2 1/2D Turn and Mill) for the about the last 4 years and posts have been no problem. I do believe their post language is well doucumented and easy to follow. I have wrote posts for other systems so I have some experience with it and FeatureCAM was about the same as some and easier than others. I have seen MC's post language but never worked with it so I can not compare the two. I have never taken a class.
    Also, FeatureCAM will write the post for you, free, if you are on maintenance, but they also willing did it for me when I only had a 30 day evaluation dongle. I took advantage of their help then, as I was evaluating other softwares at the same time and did not have the resources to write my own posts for them all.
    If you go to the support section of their web site and click on the "Downloads" you can down load a version to try in addition to all the documentation for the posts (although, without an evaluation dongle, you can not post code, but you can read the post manual. It is PDF format). You will need to fill out a form with your contact information, but FeatureCAM never pressured me or contacted me alot to try to pressure a sale, if you are concerned about that.

Dan

(Sorry for the repeat info. I was typing while Barry was posting)

I have been using FM since V3 and never had to worry about post because they will do them for you. I wanted to be able to tweak the posts for the machines I write code for so I downloaded the manual and figured it out after a few hours; it is really simple once you understand it. I don’t write whole new posts, I find one in the list that is close and change it to suit my needs. Be sure to save the edited file under a new name so you don’t lose the original.

PS. I don’t design rockets on the weekends, I’m just an old school machinist who taught himself CNC machining and programming. You’ll love FeatureCam

Gary

develop our own posts, not pay for them ???

What a concept !!

Have been using and Beta testing for FeatureCam for over ten years.. I can assure you that they stands behind what they sell. I have seen many user wants implemented and thier end result is just that.. "Results"

All I can tell you is if you have been decipering Spaghetti then you need to have a company behind you that will work with you and make you productive so that you can afford that "T Bone Steak".

The staff of FeatureCam are some of the best respected in the Industry..
    I previously had a post conflict with out new 18I fanuc control.. I called featurCam at 10am and we were back chip to chip by 11am..

Cant rate Feature cam to Mastercam but can only tell you FeatureCam users are some of the most happiest out there..

Bottom line .. I think if you were to buy from Featurecam, they would be glad to help you and or customize you a post.. I suppose if you were try and write your own post then you might want some training..

Chips

Service is important during the learning stage. However, when I buy software I look for products that don't require any further ties to the vendor beyond initial training. This is the reason we decided against Mastercam, in spite of the fact that I have used it for ten years.

I guess this brings up another question. Does Featurecam require an annual contract to keep it running?

Ties to the vendor !!!

Once you purchase, you recieve a dongle to run the software.. You also recieve the next release as part of the purchase.. Not sure if you have been on top of FeatureCam lately, but they are part of Delcam.. So the two have been interchanging technologies.. You might want to check out "Powermill". This is what you will see in FeatureCam in the upcoming releases.. You dont have to get the maintanence .. If you fall a few years back then you can still upgrade down the road.. If you arnt doing much 3d, consider a 2-1/2 D copy.. Runs right around 3-4 K..

We just hired new employee who was "All MasterCam" Well he has been using Featurecam for over a year now and he is one of the best sellsman around.. Never took a class.. just got hooked and has never looked back.. Ask FeatureCam for a 30 day dongle.

Chips :cheers:

hi ,
    can somebody help me finding a college providing classes to learn how to write post processors ? I live in Canada , Montreal area ..
    thank you in advance for your help.

help me

Hello everyone, I be learning to use FeatureCAM and expect to be very good program cam.
    I have 3-axis milling machine with control selca1200 (PROGET2) but I can not figure out how to post processor for my 3 axis?
    those able to help me?
    thanks

Re: help me