584,812 active members*
5,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: what CAM

In my opinion most CAM systems are just too complicated and too expensive for most applications.
    When I used to be a miller and did not have the chance to use a good CAM system, I was able to write a Macro for most standard stuff.
    For other things I only got the contour and then wrote the rest by myself (hardly ever had 3D contours)

The advantage of writing everything myself was that I quickly became very efficient.
    (it also takes quite a long time to create something with the CAM)
    So then I had my program in which all tool paths were optimal.

My conclusion is still that most CAM systems are overpriced for many applications.
    It works better and quicker by having good programmers that write it themselves with a simple CAM support ( contour and drill positions)

The Cam system can do quite a lot but first you have to draw the piece in detail
    ( and so on) Then they make the problem unnecessarily big and confusing.

All these things are not needed when processing small series.

What do you think about it? Do you know a CAM that gives out really good programs without having to set too much?

What means ‚too expensive’ for you?
    What is your budget?

I think your right regarding the operation. The software needs to be easily operated.
    Datentechnik Reitz GmbH &amp; Co. KG<br />Händler und Support von<br />Sprutcam, Eureka, Blechcenter, Vector<br />T:06461 / 7593437<br />F:06461 / 7593438<br />www.cnc-Technik.de<br />[email protected]

Too expensive: possibly
    Optimal milling paths: they don’t exist because the term ‘optimal’ differs from user to user
    Too complicated: Practice makes perfect!
    In our firm there is nobody that can program quicker than me with the help of my CAM.

I would like to add that I use one of the most expensive and most complicated CAM systems. (Pro/Engineer)
    No brain no pain&#33; <br><br>www.JackTools.Net

What means ‚too expensive’ for you?
    What is your budget?

I think your right regarding the operation. The software needs to be easily operated.
    I don’t need an offer. I have a CAM for all application with possibly most available post processors ( I am not working in the production area)

Too expensive: possibly
    Optimal milling paths: they don’t exist because the term ‘optimal’ differs from user to user
    Too complicated: Practice makes perfect!
    In our firm there is nobody that can program quicker than me with the help of my CAM.

I would like to add that I use one of the most expensive and most complicated CAM systems. (Pro/Engineer)
    I think that a software doesn’t need to show everything in 3D if it’s not needed.
    Better a few points, thus the coordinates/contours and finished!
    Rough and finish the contour
    Spot drilling the coordinates > drill and maybe cut threads.

I don’t know a current Cam for these simply tasks.
    A CAM that should be so simply, could be sold for ~ 1k.

I don’t want to give more details about individual systems.
    But I know for example Cam system for less than2k in wire-cut EDM.

1.only a pair of lines/points and that is good

2. good graphical display that is appropriate for the special type of machine.
    Simple handling and all very fast!

3. around 7k and can pretty much the same as no. 2 - only looks nicer

I am not so familiar with current milling equipment.
    I used to work on an old OPUS version and when looking back I have to say the simplicity was absolutely adequate.