585,973 active members*
4,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > New guy needs help buying or building foam router

New guy needs help buying or building foam router

Hi,

I know this isn't about foam "cutters", but it's close. Since I'm new I didn't know where to post this.

My name is Craig and I cast aluminum and brass parts as a side business. I have about 15 parts that I continuously reproduce (the biggest and most complex part is 20x6x6, but most are barely 1/2" thick, around 12"x4", and flat on one side). The process includes ramming up a mold with a pattern inside, removing the pattern, carving out the gates & sprues, closing up the mold, and then pouring the casting. The sand molds are always damaged when removing the pattern, and I can't reproduce parts with inside curves and super complex shapes.

What I'd like to do is start lost foam casting. It will speed up my mold making, produce better castings, and allow me to produce better parts. To do this, I'll need to buy a router setup and the software to run it. I'll also need the software to create the 3d sizes and shapes (CAD??) that will tell the router what to cut out.

I'm 33, have a corporate job, this side business, and a family. Spending the time researching what I need, and then building it probably isn't an option. I'm hoping I can buy everything ready to go and then figure out how to input the data for my parts. What do you guys recommend for a setup, and are any of you doing exactly what I described?

Thanks!!!
    Craig

Craig,

I think I can help you.

PM me your budget, speed requirements, your location, etc.

Regards,
    Justin

me too

foam cutter for 9900.00 set up delivered and trained for 2 days with excelent support. astatue.com

hehe, you sure don't need to spend $10,000 for an awesome foam cutter.

I built mine with THK LINEAR RAILS, 400-52,000 microstep drives, and some MXL belt , auto heat, etc... with 80/20 to boot, for around $500.

Chroma uses belts.(high end machine, saw it in person)

0-52mm/s with precision, better than the lead screw design I previously made.

By using microstep drives, and belts, instead of a low lead screw, you get the torque, precision and speed!

I am sure the peeps wanting big money will say theirs is better, but I'll bet I am using more quality industrial parts than them...100% industrial precision parts, that are designed to take more of a load than they will ever see on a hotwire.

And cheap, ebay baby!

How long time machining parts and making corrections til you got it correct? then ask your self how much my time is worth. do the math baby, you spent far more than you expected. My system is running and you have understanding day 2. hope you have no problems because you have no one to call either. Dude, I did that too. Spent 6 months time, when I was finished it worked but not well.

Take a pill man.....

Glad it didn't take me 6 months, guess I did my research and bought the right parts that didn't require heavy machining.... a drill press, a saw, and quality industial precision parts, not consumer parts.

My money saved is definately worth a few hours leisure building.

Let's see...I dropped 15mm Precision THK linear rails on T-slot 80/20, slapped on steppers, wired them, ran 4 belts, strung a wire, installed software, and wallah, accuracy to .002 or better, MORE ACCURATE THAN THE KERF ON FOAM.

C'mon man, this isn't rocket science, and it sure ain't a 5 axis cnc.

I already told you I spent $500, and I won't need someone to call, because I built it.

There aren't many corrections to be made to get it right, 4 axis hotwires are so simple.

As a matter of fact, this is probably the most simple of all CNC machines.

People here love to learn to build, that WHY WE ARE ALL HERE!

You're a new guy here, that's come here to farm the noobs for money, and that's cool, but don't jump me when I want to educate my fellow members, and save them a buck.

I have been a member here for 3 years longer than you, and I can guarantee you NOBODY around here is going to pay $10,000 for a foam cutter.

That's why they are here, to learn, make a great machine, and save BUX.

Good luck in your new "business" and have a great day!

I would pay $10,000 if I had an extra $10,000, but frankly I do not. The other side is that I would not mind buying a commercial machine if I could expect to spend enough time to generate a decent income with it, but I have a full time job and just want to do some side items around town. Nothing major enough to invest in the quaility of an Astatue (or comparable) machine.

The way I see it once I buy all of the parts for the frame, guides, ball screws etc. I am around $800. Then I can easily add $500 for steppers and controller. Then I want to buy a little bit of software, almost $200. So even on the cheap I can't get down below $1,500.

Any ideas for a cheaper way to buy/build linear slides?

The other side of this is that I want to build something that works and I think there will be a certain amount of enjoyment in that.

When I do get this built I want to cut letters out of 2" thick foam, but I want to be able to cut up to a 4' x 8' x 2" sheet of foam. If it could cut trim moulding that would be a bonus.

Eventually, I want to take the experience from this project to build a decent size router table.

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Garrick

Hey foam27,
    Like CPS I am new to this also. I want to get into metal casting using lost foam. I also have wanted to build a CNC router for Printed Circuit Boards for some time but always thought the mechanics was a bit beyond me for the acuracy I needed. So I have decided to go with the foam cutter to start with as it looks like an easy project to begin with and I can then use it to cast in metal the bits that I will need for a more accurate CNC router device.
    I like the idea of using belts instead of slow lead screws do you have any pics of your machine or similar that you could direct me to.

Keep up the good work and assistance to us noobies.

Mal