585,749 active members*
3,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > keeping tool centerline orthogonal to surface

keeping tool centerline orthogonal to surface

All -

I don't know if this is the correct forum for my question, but here goes...

I'd like to be able to acquire coordinates for vectors orthogonal to a part surface at any given point. I'm aware that this is a non-trivial mathematical exercise, but I'm hoping that there's an open source solution.

Not being an engineer, I'll start with (what seems to me to be) the obvious question. Would FEA software generate this information?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

Do you know where you are? What planet did you come from? Do you come in peace?

I think in multi-axis machining terms, you are wanting to know how to keep the tool "normal" to the surface. I am not sure you need advanced algebra to get the needed vectors. The way a multi-axis machine works is you need the point on the part and the a axis and b axis angles, all in relation to an established X0, Y0, Z0 point and the corresponding planes.

Thank you for the providing the specific engineering term although normal and orthogonal are synonymous.

Your answer seems a bit simplistic when describing normality to a complex curved surface. However, I'll give it due consideration. I would prefer a simple direct solution.

CC

The simple solution for me is to select a 5 axis milling machine in MasterCam and let MasterCam do the calculations based on the tolerance parameters (resolution if you will) I provide.

I have actually done the calculations for X, Y, Z, B, C for 5 axis router work. It is just so much waaaay easier to let the software do it.