585,885 active members*
6,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Painting wooden signs?
Page 1 of 2 12

Painting wooden signs?

hey, i wa woundering if anyone knows a good way to fill in just the letters of a sign cut in wood. Also any special fillers i could maybe use?

You mean totally filled in, or just paint the recesses?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

well both actually, sometimes the letters are small enough that it would look fine filled, but other times the letters are quite large and deep

If you want to fill them in, use an epoxy with color added. Seal the wood first so the color doesn't bleed. If painting, again seal first and paint. With both methods, sand the face after filling or painting, and apply the finish coat last.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Another idea is to mask the entire sign prior to cutting your lettering. You could then use a spray-on application of paint. When the paint is dry, simply remove the masking and seal the entire surface.

I was wondering what paints and sealers would work best for signs carved in mdf? I would like to just paint the carved out letters and seal the entire sign. Thanks- Robbie
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by NIL8r
    Another idea is to mask the entire sign prior to cutting your lettering. You could then use a spray-on application of paint. When the paint is dry, simply remove the masking and seal the entire surface.
    I've sprayed various surfaces using simple masking tape to mask the surrounding area. I always carefully peel off the tape immediately after spraying as I have found that if I leave the paint to dry b4 removing the tape, then the surrounding edges usually crack as I peel it off ruining my nice straight lines. This may not happen with different types of paint but it always happens to me.

Masking tape might not be suitable for your small detailed carvings, and/or may not be economical and/or too time consuming.

Your answer seems to be this paint mask on page 8 of the thread below.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...334#post186334

Are there any good manuals, or guides, on this forum or on the internett about painting signs and similar stuff? Painting signs looks very hard when the letters are very smal, and when you use more than one color. A guide with pictures would be very good if anyone knows about one...

Hi, I do a lot of signs with an mdf core with a maple veneer, I have good results in the following order.
    1. Route
    2. Stain (if desired)
    3. Clear coat.
    4. Paint (usually spray)
    5. Sand
    6. Clear
    I clear before painting as it seals the grain so the paint doesn’t seem to bleed and the paint sands off of the clear easier than the wood and I avoid burning through the veneer as easily.
    If I want to do more than 1 color I just mask the areas I don’t want to paint…

For painting the inside of carved letters, I have been using a large syringe with deluted 10% acylic paint. I apply at approx. 1/16" thick. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to dry but works great. No brush marks and very easy to use and can also get into very tight spots.

Using one color in the letters an one color on the rest seems very okey to do. But if I want to use many colors, like on this picture. How, and in witch order should I paint this one??

I think there was specific instructions about that sign but cant remember where.....possibly on the Vectric forum. From memory the letters are gold leaf and the blue is some sort of glitter stuff that you buy online in little tubs....actually it was on the zone because there was a link someone wanted as to where to buy the blue stuff. Im sure someone knows where the thread is.

i think you have to be kind of an artist to paint those thing.
    but a syringe seem to work good.

syringe?

New at this...How does it work....is the paint just so think that it adheres to the side of the letters...doesnt drip? sounds like a great idea...can you ellobotrate.
    What syringes are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Techteacher View Post
    For painting the inside of carved letters, I have been using a large syringe with deluted 10% acylic paint. I apply at approx. 1/16" thick. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to dry but works great. No brush marks and very easy to use and can also get into very tight spots.

info

what kind of clear and paint do you use on mdf?
    You sand at the end? do you respray?
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by CrashMasterKev View Post
    Hi, I do a lot of signs with an mdf core with a maple veneer, I have good results in the following order.
    1. Route
    2. Stain (if desired)
    3. Clear coat.
    4. Paint (usually spray)
    5. Sand
    6. Clear
    I clear before painting as it seals the grain so the paint doesn’t seem to bleed and the paint sands off of the clear easier than the wood and I avoid burning through the veneer as easily.
    If I want to do more than 1 color I just mask the areas I don’t want to paint…

Morning abelloise:
    Pretty much any spray-paint works.
    As for sealer / clear, any polyurethane style works fine.
    As in my original post I use a lot of veneers, just the core is MDF, so by sealing, it keeps the paint in the letters / design and doesn’t allow it to bleed into the grain, and makes sanding off the excess much easier and yes I respray the finished product to give it a nice shine, weather proofing ect.. this process also works well for solid woods as well.

Masking!

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy this paint mask (the peel off kind)?
    Also...what kind of spray paint do you use on MDF? (after sealing)
    this is the sign (my first) that I did and it took me for ever to hand paint it!
    Thanks
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid View Post
    I've sprayed various surfaces using simple masking tape to mask the surrounding area. I always carefully peel off the tape immediately after spraying as I have found that if I leave the paint to dry b4 removing the tape, then the surrounding edges usually crack as I peel it off ruining my nice straight lines. This may not happen with different types of paint but it always happens to me.

Masking tape might not be suitable for your small detailed carvings, and/or may not be economical and/or too time consuming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bcsign.jpg  

That turned out really really great abe. Do a google search for 'Paint Mask' and you should get a few hits, ebay aswell.

I did a search and really don't know how to choose between the many choices. Heres a hit that looks promising. Cheap too.
    http://www.amazon.com/30-X400-Ft-Pai...515358&sr=1-13

Page 1 of 2 12