585,875 active members*
4,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Motor Driver where to put ground?

Motor Driver where to put ground?

This is probably a really dumb question but my forte is not in Electronics

I am trying to wire this permament Magnet mount motor with this drive with 230VAC

I have everything wired up.... except the ground?!?! am I supposed to run this badboy with a rod straight into the earth?!!? Also I would like to have this under PC control eventually I have an encoder but I don't know how to wire it into the Control. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sean Breed

MM23001C Minarik Drives (can't link for some reason)
    here is drive info

"# MM footprint: An extremely compact size in an industry standard mounting footprint.
    # Speed range and regulation: 1% regulation over 60:1 speed range.
    # User adjustable calibration pots: IR compensation, min speed, max speed, current limit, acceleration and deceleration.
    # Diagnostic LEDs: LEDs for current limit status.
    # Stopping modes: Coast to minimum speed with inhibit terminals (N.O.),decelerate to min speed through pot circuit (N.C). External dynamic braking can be added.
    # Spade terminals: Easy to use, lower cost and able to fit in a smaller package.
    # Additional features: Dual voltage AC input and field voltage for shunt wound motors."

That drive looks like a simple SCR drive, they are intended for general speed control and I would tend not to use that for servo control, if that was your intention.
    There should be a ground conductor wired from motor to drive and then back to your supply ground.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

This isn't going to be a servo simply a Spindle motor with a feeback sensor for tach speeds so I can cut threads. I believe I ahve everything wired correctly except for the ground wire coming from the outlet... there are only 2 wires coming from the motor itself... and I recall seeing in the manual to not ground to the machine. but it didn't say much more.

Neither of the two wires should be grounded but there should be a ground terminal on the motor itself, a ground is normally run back from here to the drive together with the two motor feed wires and this ground wire is connected to the ground terminal on the drive, there would then be a ground taken from this point to your outlet.
    Al.

Albert E.

thats the thing I cannot find a ground terminal on the drive.... maybe this diagram can be of help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

ok well I am going to talk to my uncle he is an electrical tech, apparently the motor somehow was charged and I just involuntarily screamed REALLY loud and I am glad the pulley wasn't attached, and just loose on there otherwise I couldn't have let go... , but the motor did turn on.... so thats a start. I am just a bit worried that I could have died..... so cheers :banana:

It is a bit irresponsible that they supply a diagram and do not indicate a ground termination. Use a ground lug on the wire and attach it to one of the mounting screws, file a clean spot on the frame if necessary.
    And use a ground wire from your outlet.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ar you sure it is a PMDC motor???

If the motor were properly insulated, there should be no current leaking from the brush leads to the case.

Since it turned/ran, it probably is BUT if the motor is shunt woulnd internall and pulls shunt current from the brush leads (ala starte motors in some cars and also the way the old Lionel trains did them), you could have the brush leads tied to the case some how.

If it is a shunt wound motor pulling current from the brush leads, you could have a short. A high OUCH factor is something to investigater before you proceed much farther.

Any chance this is a treadmill motor??? The controller looks remarkably like some surplus ones I got from one of these devices.

Talking

The motor is a real cheap one I got off ebay made by McMillian Electric is says right on the Label P. M. D. C. I did have the outlet ground on the bolt that connects the supply to the heatsink, althought I forgot to scrap off paint, could that have been it?

2.25 HP 260 Volt DC Motor

New McMillan Electric model S3365B2938. Permanent magnet design. Made for treadmill application. Heavy cast iron fan/pulley assembly is threaded onto motor shaft. Recommended rotation is CW to keep pulley from unthreading, motor itself is reversible. Would also make an excellent DC generator.
    SPECIFICATIONS

2. -1/4 HP at 260 VDC int.
    1. -1/8 at 130 VDC cont.
    95. -260 VDC
    5. Amps
    0. -5100 RPM

Rotation reversible *(see paragraph above)
    Enclosure open
    6" dia pulley/fan with 1-3/8" dia 6 groove poly v pulley
    Duty int. w/o cooling fan (not incl)
    Mount 2 threaded holes in side of body
    Shaft 17 mm dia x 15/16" w/ 1/2"-13 x 7/8" long UNC LH threaded end
    Size 7 3/4" x 4" x 4" excluding face plate
    Shpg. 14 lbs.

thats info about the Motor itself

Al are you referring to putting a ground on the motor or that drive?

The motor is Definitely PMDC

Thanks I will def use my volt meter before touching ANYTHING next time

First, check the resistance to ground on both motor leads, they should read high resistance (Mohms).
    A ground wire would normally go from the motor frame, to a ground point in the drive and from there to the wall socket ground.
    Are you sure there is not a ground screw in the drive? Usually painted green.
    Do not hook it up if you get very low resistance from motor frame to motor lead.
    Al.

Albert E.

I think I have it figured out guys! I lost the manual to my multimeter and I don't know what any of those symbols mean except for volts and ohms, and for some weird reason my voltmeter shuts off when I try and do anything with ohms.... hmmm so I couldn't measure resistance, so I hit the breaker.... no horrible popping sounds that’s a good sign I put the multi meter on volts and touch the supply ground to the motor itself... nothing that’s a good sign right? Technically if I did that before I would have seen volts running through the casing. so I turned on the potentiometer and it was running smoothly! Turned it up pretty high just to see how it ran, perfectly in my opinion I was very excited. Although I still haven't the guts to touch the motor.... it should be safe now right? I did what you said Al I run outlet ground to the heat sink screw and then from there to the motor case.