584,866 active members*
4,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Some Retrofit questions

I am currently looking at an Eagle Knee Mill with a Anilam Crusader M control. The Machine looks mechanically sound but the control is not working. I am planing an AjaxCNC retrofit. In my home shop I have a 5hp phase converter, this mill is similar to a Bridgeport in that you turn the spindle on with a drum switch it is not controlled by the CNC controller. My question is this. Does the cnc control of the AjaxCNC need 3 phase power? Or does the control work of 110v and just the spindle need 3 phase? Any info on how some of you are powering you cnc's in a home shop would be great.

Thanks,
    Eric

Ajax requires a 110 volt input. I have one of there retro fits for my mill,I have not got it running yet, but I have powered up and the control is just outright awesome.
    Been there and done that, on all these pc, step,direction, hobby controls, which have a ton of bugs that never end.

Good luck.

Three Pahse on Ajax system

Hello I have a series 1 CNC Bridgeport that I have converted to run on an ajax control system which in the UK I can run straight from the domestic 240 volt 13 amp single phase supply you are correct in what you think the control does only need 110 volt on mine I run the spindle motor on a single to three phase inverter and with the additional extra for motor speed control from Ajax this gives me full programable speed because in the PLC supplied with the control it lets you use an input / output for the two speed gearbox so speed from 1 to 3500 rpm. the system works very well and is relatively easy to learn on and program in use. There are a few critsisms things I had got used to on the old Boss control are not in the new control such as the goto control which was useful when checking out tool length offsets and goto X0. Y0. & Z0. to check the setup position of the fixture zero. hope this helps Cheers Colin

Colin1544, Use the MDI mode to G0 X0 Y0 to check location.
    MDI tool change and move to Z location for tool length verfication.
    Same as the BOSS GOTO command
    I do not have there control, but they advertize MDI control!

Stephen, Cartesian Machine Works.

Goto commands

Thanks for that stephen works great its just that you get so used to the old mechanical switch controls that you forget about the keyboard commands. Cheers Colin

I already made a retrofit to my eagle machine with Ajax. The control works with 110 v. I can tell you, This is one of my best moves in my life. My machine now is as fast and precise as a $100.000.00 worth cnc machine.
    I have available the Crusader M controls for sale..

Good Look.
    Luiguicam

I am going to get my mill fired up in the next week, I am very sure I will be happy.Centriod has been around for years, and there stuff works....
    I tried all the mickey mouse pc pased controls, more hassle than what there worth.

Luiguicam,
    Thanks for the info. How much are you asking for the Crusader control? I would like to see some pictures of your Eagle if you have time.

Thanks,
    Eric

Eagle Ajax Retrofit Pictures

Eric,
    Attached you will find some pictures of my machine. I included a picture of a wodden sign that I just finish for a costumer. With this new control, my machine is able to cut at 200 ipm precisely. I am using a Precise Jig grinder controlled on and off from the control attached to the machine spindle that reach 45.000 rpm allowing me high speed machining smoothly. I am really happy with this new toy!.
    Regarding the Crusader M control I am asking $1400.00 for everything (control panel, monitor, board cage with all the boards (the orange board is damage) and the 3 servo drives)

Any question. any time!

Regards,
    Luigicam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machine1.jpg   Machine2.jpg   Machine3.jpg   Machine4.jpg  

Cnc Program

Hi

That is a nice sign. What software did you use to program it with? How
    long did it take to create the program?

Thank You

I spent three hours in the design and programs, I use photovcarve and Artcam. To make the whole sign took about 4 hours in the machine.

Luiguicam

Luiguicam,
    Your machine and work look great. I am attaching some pics of the machine I just brought home. The machine only has 3200 hours on it. From what I was told from the previous owner, the control no longer works. The overall machine is in excellent condition and came with a good selection of toolholders. My question is this, I would like to put the existing control under power to see what happens, do you know how I can power up the control on single phase 110v rather than using three phase? I have a rotary phase converter, but for testing and playing purposes I would like to use single phase. Also, if I go with the Ajax retrofit can you give me detailed info on what you kept out of the existing control? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1804a.JPG  

Eric,
    You can power up your machine by just plug in a 110v outlet. You will know that the control works or not almost Immediately, as soon as you turn on the control the display should come alive with a message "complete". if so, you can move the axis to check the feed back in the DRO. At this point press the reset switch to power up the servo motors (make sure that the switch Manual/Auto is in Auto). If everything work properly, you are able now to test the machine with a program. If you want to cut something, then you need the phase converter to power up the spindle. (this has nothing to do with the control). Now regarding to the retrofit with Ajax, I kept from old control the servo motors,the electical wires to power up the servos, limit switches, the spindle and coolant magnetic contactor, the emergency stop botton, some of the fans, the power supply for the servos, the capacitor and bridge. I bought the basic kit from AJAX including the 3 encoders, I bought also the capacitor but I did not use it (I bought it just in case), besides I bought a new computer to fit it inside the electric cabinet and a 17" flat panel monitor hooked to the old control arm. Total spent Ajax,computer and components around $4000.00 and a part time week to install everything. I could compare the performance of both controllers (Anilam and Ajax) because I ran the same job for testing purposes, this was a 3d complex design on a cabinet wooden door. Result: with the old control took more than 12 hours and very poor quality ( I quit trying complex design with anilam control since then) with the Ajax Control 2 1/2 hours nice and sharp. Another remarkable feature of Ajax is the costumer service and their quick response. I called Jesse from Ajax more than thousand times before and after retrofit(this was mi first retrofit) he always was very kind and he gave the right answer all the times.
    If you have more questions do not hesitate, contact me any time.

You can reach me also to my cel phone 787-538-1775

Yo hablo español, but I can deal a little bit with the english.

Regards,
    Luiguicam

Luiguicam,
    Thanks for all your info. I will keep you informed. I am also leaning toward the Ajax, but I would like to see what happens when I power up the existing control.

Thanks,
    Eric

Luiguicam,
    Powered up the control last night, I get power all fans power up, but I get no display and when I hit buttons on the control panel I get a beeping sound. What this tells me and the info you have given me is not to mess around to much with the Anilam and retrofit with the Ajax.

Eric

Eric,
    Did you try to power up the servos by pressing first the emergency stop and release it then the reset button (The one beside the yellow coolant button in the front of cabinet) with the manual/auto switch in auto you should ear a "clunk" sound and you will ear also more fans working. If this happens, means that you have power in the servos and you can feel them powered because you cannot move the axis manually. At this point your problem maybe the monitor burn or something else. Which it is posible to save the control without much problem. Otherwise, you are ready to Ajax.

Luiguicam

Luiguicam,
    When I press the green reset button all I get is a clicking sound. The fans under the servo drives do not come on and no power to the servos. The previous owner told be it has a bad "CT Board", not sure what he meant by that. I did not get any of the manuals with the machine he is supposed to be looking for those. Would you have a electrical diagram you could scan? Everything leads to Ajax, but I am just trying to see what I have so far. Thanks again for the help.

Eric

hsmcnc,
    If you decide to sell any or all of the Anilam control components please let me know. I have 2 of them running and like to keep spare parts.

Thanx
    Bob

Eric,
    I have all the electrical diagrams, I bought them from anilam along with the user manual, I think the the previous owner refered to the CTR board, the board that controls the CTR Monitor, I have seen something in the diagrams about it. When I get home this evening, I am going to scan the control panel Diagram and send you the image to your email.
    Another thing you may check is the board cage (attached to the door inside the electronic cabinet). Be careful, and power up the machine and look at the boards, the first board from right to left (the tab orange one) it has a string of 5 leds that should be lit and 2 or 3 of them (not sure) must be blinking, this means that the communication among the system is correct, and you have the boards in good condition.

Regards,
    Luiguicam

Regards,
    Luiguicam

Bob,
    I have the whole crusader M control to be sold. I am planning to post it in Ebay, but if you are interested make me an offer for everything or part of it.

Regards,
    Luiguicam

Page 1 of 3 123