585,759 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Possible Frame Building Material?

Phenolic Surface Plywood

http://www.whitecap.net/store/plywood.jsp

Anyone ever seen this material in person?
    Ever consider building a frame from it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WCPhenolicPly.jpg  
    Mike_L

When I was younger I thought I knew EVERYTHING,
    NOW, the older I get the more I find out I don’t know!

I notice the phenolic surface is only 'a paper impregnated layer' and looks to be pretty thin.
    Or were you seeing it as more waterproof and therefore more stable than standard ply of the same thickness ?

John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

I think plywood would work great, but I'm not sure you'll get more with this than you would with a couple of coats of polyurethane.

-Jeff

Hey Scratch. I work in the Foundry world, patternmaker, and I've used it for squeezer boards. Real tough stuff. Resists the potent release chemicals used at foundries. Great stable, strong stuff. If it'll take the pounding at a foundry I say use it!!

phenolic is pretty strong. it really doens't matter how thick the paper is that was impregnated, we make stuff from honeycomb paper, that is impreg with phen resin. You can literally drive a dump truck over it. and it weighs 1/4 lb per square foot. Anyways, it will make the ply stronger, but you would still need to seal the whole piece with poly to keep out moisture. THe wood may still move a little if you don't