584,862 active members*
5,341 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > how would I machine this?

how would I machine this?

Hey I am new here and I am looking to be a machinist for a career. I am young as in like 17 so i am still in school and im taking an apprenticeship for a machinist. Hopefully I get accepted but anyways here is what I want to know. I found this project somebody made on the internet and was thinking of how I could make this. Since I have a milling machine at my school I was hoping I could try and make it but I don't know how I would go about doing this. My guess is that they drilled holes on each face of the cube and made 4 more smaller ones doing the same thing and welded them together but that is me. Anyways the site is this http://lloydleung.com/gallery/Past%2...4_Cube_1.5^3/#

I believe they bore out each side...

That is a cute CNC demo, of how a cube is step milled from all four sides leaving the smaller cubes attached at the corners!
    Yes, that can be done on a Bridgeport mill too, just use a rotary table and crank your arms off!

Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

You can machine it on a lathe using a four jaw chuck. Take the solid cube and bore a stepped hole into one face; rechuck it on another face and bore the same stepped hole, etc, etc until you have done the hole on all faces. It is necessary to be careful because as you remove material you cannot grip it very tight or it will distort.

That is called a turners cube. It can be done in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe. It can also be done in a mill with a boring head or interpolated in steps. That is how I did mine many years ago.

These dimensions can be critical in relation to the 3" cube. It is better to be .050 over 3" than .005 under. The smaller cubes get very thin at the corners.

DC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TurnersCube.jpg   TurnersDim.jpg  

Instead of a boring bar, couldn't you just plunge into it with a center cutting endmill?

A shop we deal with made these as Xmass orniments for their clients. Not sure what machine they used, but the first layer is accually under cut slightly. You might concider using plastic or wood and using forestner bits of the right size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cube.jpg  

At first glance I thought the same as One of, but on study I wouldn't call them turner's cubes in the sense that the cubes are not detached - its a straight bore vs the undercut - in a turner's cube, the cubes are all detached; cubes inside of cubes. I made one years ago, will try to snap a pic tonight. mine is 1" sq, of brass and is three cubes done manually in the lathe. the turner's cube requires undercutting vs the pics that looks more like a boring job. you need to grind up a bore bar as an internal grooving tool to get the under cut - its actually the facing cut of this bar that forms the face of each cube. you make plugs to hold the thing together while you cut subsequent cubes. IMO brass is good as it machines easily - low cutting forces and good finish

This was the way I made it. It's clamped at the edges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 143_4376.JPG  

or you could do one like this made out of wood it is 5/8 high
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cube 002.jpg  

I made one of those cubes MANY years ago in a 4 jaw chuck and an old engine lathe......made it from cast iron and when it was finished 1 god tap broke all the cubes free it amazed a lot of folks back then (35 yrs ago now)

Puzzles

A friend of mine made those on a regular lathe in 6 setups. They took a while to make.
    I made these about 4 years ago out of brass360.It's a Symetrical Circle. 6 pieces that hold each other together. These were a lot of fun. 7/16 brass rod in a 6 Axis Swiss Screw Machine all tolerances were held +-.0002. One main program linked 6 sub-programs. The Swiss Spit 1 complete puzzle every 5 minutes. I made around 100 puzzles on a Saturday

BTW; One Key holds them all together.

Their are tons of projects like these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puzzle 001.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com