584,837 active members*
5,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finding the center

We got into a discussion at our shop on which is the fastest way to find the center of a bore. Everything from using a edge finder, to wigglers, to test indicators, to 3D edgefinders, etc..

I have always used an edge finder and some math to figure it out.

Which way do you do it and why?

edgefinder then dial , edgefinder finds the center quickly , the dial finds the dead nuts position

I've gotten a little lasy over the years. After I launched my best test, I bought a Blake co-ax

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    I've gotten a little lasy over the years. After I launched my best test, I bought a Blake co-ax
    Follow lakeside's example but make sure it is a Blake made in the Los Angeles area. I have no connection to them other than being a very satisfied customer.

PS: just don't run them at 6000rpm

for all those intersted here a link to Blake co-ax http://www.blakemanufacturing.com/pages/aboutus.html

i would say a quality coaxle would be the way to go , i bought a china jobby and its ok for rough work because it is out by a couple thou , i don t trust it too much

Blake

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    Use to use a B&S best test or a Starrett last word. Borrowed someone's Blake and ordered one last week. Nice smooth, accurate and no more Mirrors.

Very Happy Customer :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Mike, 6000RPM? The best speed is 6-10 RPM, by hand.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com