585,748 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > Need advice on which type of machine to purchase. I am mystified!

Need advice on which type of machine to purchase. I am mystified!

I have just started to make wooden covered journals and photo albums and I need a machine to engrave monograms, names and dates. After spending days of internet research for a machine I am as confused as ever! Does anyone have a suggestion for a type of machine and a brand name? I would like to keep the cost at about $2,000 or lower. Any thoughts? Oh, and user friendly too! THANKS!!!

Re: Need advice on which type of machine to purchase. I am mystified!

Your question is really too vague to answer properly. Perhaps you could focus on what confuses you about your 2 day research effort, and see how we might help in reducing your confusion.
    There are many pieces to the "puzzle" (i.e. a working CNC machine including software) and you need to understand each piece in order to make an good decision about that portion of the purchase
    So I can appreciate your confusion, and the required learning curve.

Simplistically, (or equally vague) look for a $2000 CNC with a 12" X 18" cutting area and see what that brings.

Vectric software is considered "user-friendly" so have a look there too, e.g. Introduction to CNC - Overview
    I'm thinking of VcarvePro for your lettering.

But, before you buy pieces on sale....
    Compile an itemized list to make a complete system, which includes everything you need to make an operating CNC machine for your wooden covered items.
    You then can shop around for each item, or groups of items already assembled, and perhaps to see if you can reduce their cost, without losing their required functionality, or reliability.
    Another benefit of this "homework" is that you get to see where the cost of various items go, compared to the total cost to make a CNC machine. This cost-benefit analyses will help make decisions under a tight budget, and perhaps to weed out a "nice to have" versus a functional part needed.

I know its a bit above your $2000 price, but these are fantastic machines, it is an all inclusive kit.

Benchtop Basic CNC Machine Kit | CNCRouterParts

Thank you all for responding to my question and providing me with so much information and links. I have taken your advice and have been learning more and more about the mechanics and software. I found 3 machines that may work well for me: the Oliver 13" InteliCarve, the Probotix FireBall X90, and the CNC Shark Routing System. It's all so overwhelming. Thank you for your wisdom and guidance!