584,340 active members*
7,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Scanning templates

Hi all. I am new to the CNC world and CNC zone. I recently purchased a Torchmate 2 4x4 cnc plasma table. My question is this. I can make a template very precise but when i scan it, it looks very dirty without concise lines. Whats the accepted way to clean up images? Now each node has to be cleaned up and it very very time consuming. Is there a resource guide to a step by step to take it from template to scanner to CAD to plasma? This site is so huge its overwhelming and if i overlooked it I apologize. Thanks in advance.

Can you not create your template in CAD?

Gene

No one knows?

I can and it have been but its a pain and very time consuming to plot dimentions. I was wondering if there was a shortcut from template to CAD drawing that a computer program can do some "assuming" if that makes sense. Like to round off to the nearest.... If I punch a hole in a template can a program assume its a perfect circle and that it is in fact a half inch hole for example.

Its been a while since autocad class but as far as layers are concerned, can i put the scanned image on the bottom and do a layer on top in another color and set my dimentions on top in another color for example and then remove my original template and be left with my new drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by easymike29 View Post
    Can you not create your template in CAD?

Gene

Hey Micah its Rob.. I can help you out if I can get some time to swing by.

Hopefully you got it all sorted out already, but, I have some very quick and easy ways to convert from a scan to a *decent* and useable toolpath/torchpath.

Anyway, hit me up here with a PM and we can work it out.