585,712 active members*
4,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z-Axis problems after crash

Shamefully, I have had a recent crash on my older Takisawa Lathe with Fanuc 3T control. It crashed in the z-axis rapind and was a good one.

After ensuring everything was aligned, mounting new jaws on the chuck and dusting off my ego...the machine seemed to operate as normal. Then it slowly began to make a vibration sound while rapiding in the Z-axis. Then it began to Alarm out while rapiding in z-axis, then the distance traveled in z-axis when it alarmed out became less and less. Now it will alrm out in rapid within a few inches. No problems or alarms or funny sound when running in feed mode at any speed. I took the servo drive out. And surprisingly everything seems to be mechanically sound. The encoder does not visually seem to have any mechanical defects and is still mounted firmly to the armature. No noise from the bearings, the ballscrew is straight and turns freely...So I have no idea what to look for or what could be the problem. The alarm is 21 and the book says the following: "The error registor data value is larger than the set value in Z-Axis"...What?

Any help would be great...I really need to get this thing running and if I have to buy a new servo I will do so...just need to be sure thats what it is before blowing all that cash on an old machine.

Thanks!

Talking Fixed!!

Capacitors were blown in the velocity control unit. 25 years old I guess is too much for a capacitor. One had busted off and I replaced it still had an issue with voltage drop on the +5 check prong so we heated up the capacitors and vuala!! issues and alarms dissapeared...so we replaced all the remaining capacitors and problem solved. Its nice to know that the crash wasn't my fault!! On to better days!