584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Hello
    In the company I for work, we machine to 75% gray cast iron and then aluminum and a bit of steel.
    We have elderly machines from the 80s without splash guard covering and without chip conveyor.

We plan to get some more modern second hand machines and many of the offered processing centers are equipped with a chip conveyor. I am wondering if the combination of chip conveyor and cast dust will cause problems.

Hello
    We often work with gray cast iron and did not have any problem to get the stuff out our machines with hinged belt conveyors. The cast dust gets retrieved out of the KSS via a disc filter .
    Regards Mike

Hello
    cast iron and chip conveyor are no problem together. It would be good to equip the cooling system with a blotting paper belt filter- so that the fine cast dust stays on the blotting paper.
    Regards Boern
    <b><br />Das dringendste Problem der Technologie von heute ist nicht mehr die Befriedigung von Grundbedürfnissen und uralten Wünschen der Menschen, sondern die Beseitigung von Übeln und Schäden, welche uns die Technologie von gestern hinterlassen hat.</b><br /><br />Dennis Gabor (1900-79), ungar.-brit. Physiker, Entwickler der Holographie, 1971 Nobelpr.

I can only agree with Boern. Blotting paper system with cast iron is very useful- otherwise the dust can damages the hinges of the conveyor.
    <b><u><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Ich weis nicht alles, ich lerne viel, <br />aber leider wird einem selbst das <br />lernen heute erschwert<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></u></b>

Hello
    I am working to 90% with cast iron and installed also a magnet in
    additioon to the paper.

Advantage: in two year I never had to change the water filter- on other machines ( only paper) a few times a month.

Hope I could help you
    Almost forgot the question: the chip conveyer is no problem.

Regards Buthus
    Auf den Alkohol&#33; Die Ursache und L

Many thanks for your information.
    It’s good to hear that the chip conveyor wont cause a problem.
    I know the Belt filter and the magnet from our surface grinding machine. Especially the magnet is very useful- however after a while aluminum chips tend to get stuck there.

Best wishes Jones