585,676 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: R&D

Question R&D

I know that there is a whole lot of knowledge within the members of CNC Zone, I wonder if I could take some advantage of that! I have found an AgieCut 200D EDM for sale, and it is listed with AgieMatic CD CNC Controls, I asume that the CD is an indication that it would have a CD Reader, I wonder if it would be doable and/or feasible to change that Control to an RS232 instead of CD, or is such a Machine perhaps not worth investing into? I'm new to EDM, and we don't have enough need for it to invest in a new Machine.

I'm about 99% certain that the 200D has a 3.5" floppy disk for transferring files. I'm not aware of any Agie that had an optical disc drive.

My 170HSS has a 3.5" floppy as well (plus a serial port), but to be perfectly honest, it's more convenient to transfer the data using a floppy disc than the serial port.

What makes it a slam dunk is replacing the floppy drive with one of the solid state floppy replacements that takes a USB memory stick. They are only about $50, and you format a USB memory stick into (100) 1.44meg folders and simply use the buttons on a 2-digit display on the drive to call up which folder you want to read. Very simple and works well.

The data files to run a wire machine are small. If you've never owned or run a wire machine -- trust me: moving data to it is by far the least of your worries!