584,814 active members*
5,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brother EDM Programming Questions

Hello, this is my third post; hopefully somebody has some advise. I am running a 2000 vintage Brother HS-50A wire EDM. I am cutting off a 3" wide tab from a previous operation. Currently I am doing an edge find in the -x direction, zeroing the machine, jogging in the x+ direction, jogging in the y- direction, then doing another edge find in the -x direction, and taking the difference from the first measurement, manually inputing the number in my program, jogging back to where I started, and pushing the start button. Sounds complicated? I have the program do an auto edge find and move back a set amount in both the x and y, then start cutting. Again, I am sure that it is possible to do both edge finds automatically, take the difference, and input it into the program, and go from there. It is working well, but I know that it could be better. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark Roberts

I know this is an old post but did you ever find a way to do this? I think it would require a macro that I doubt is an option.

Larry,
    Thanks for the reply; no, I haven't got it to work yet. I am still open to suggestions.

Mark

I have tried to do something like that myself without luck. Sorry.

Larry, with my current setup I can find an edge automatically, back up a given amout, then repeat the same routine for another axis to get my starting position. The parts that I am working on don't always locate on my fixture the same way; currently I touch off both ends of the part, take the difference, and insert that amount in the program to cut at an angle. Not very high tech.

May not be high tech but it works.

Ever have any thread location issues? For example if you are running multiple parts: I rapid to one then cut it. I rapid over to the second one and in the middle of it the wire breaks. How do I get it to just rapid back just outside say the second part and feed back in rather then all the way to the beginning?

Do you have a "G92" in your code after you have moved to the next location?

No, just one in the beginning. Is that what it does? Back up to a G92? Would it be just a G92 all by itself on a line?

I don't normally run multiple parts on my Brother (it has threading issues), but I do on my Sodick 750. Yes, you can have it on a seperate line; G92 X0 Y0. Try it; it should work. You are running a Brother HS-50A? Do you have threading issues?

If I put a G92 X0Y0 that will reset my target where I am sitting so that won't work.

As far as threading goes as long as you keep the machine clean and maintain it well it threads well. When you slack off on maintenance it becomes less reliable.

Putting a G92 X0Y0 will reset my absolute zero where ever I'm sitting when I do that so that won't work.

As long as we maintain the machine the threading works really well.

I will admit, that it is not as clean as it should be, and that is most likely the problem. Do you have the wire chopper? Any problems with that?

No problem with the chopper as well. Just keep it adjusted and flip over or replace the cutting inserts on a regular basis and it works great. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
    If I put a G92 X0Y0 that will reset my target where I am sitting so that won't work.

As far as threading goes as long as you keep the machine clean and maintain it well it threads well. When you slack off on maintenance it becomes less reliable.
    Use the G92X(current position)Y(current position) not G92X0Y0.
    Then the G92 sets the new 'thread position' but does not change the part position.