584,879 active members*
5,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Hello everyone

I now started wire-cut EDM. Machine: CHARMILLES 440. I have a question about the programming as there are several different opinions in our firm. How does G41 or rather G42 behave? Is it exactly like during the milling process or does it behave differently as there is no climb or up-cut.

Kind regard
    Fred

hapo Guest
    Hello everyone

I now started wire-cut EDM. Machine: CHARMILLES 440. I have a question about the programming as there are several different opinions in our firm. How does G41 or rather G42 behave? Is it exactly like during the milling process or does it behave differently as there is no climb or up-cut.

Kind regard
    Fred

G41/G42 has little to do with down-cutting and up-cutting. Right/left of the contour is defined with it…

Hello

Well G41 and G42 in wire-cut EDM are not related to down-cutting and up-cutting as the wire itself doesn’t turn. And the wire doesn’t care on which side of the contour it should go through the material.

But as Hapo already said G41 and G42is more related to the side on which one moves in relation to the feed direction. There are also left-handed cutter, so then down-cutting and up-cutting would be wrong in theory if its defined with G41 and G42.

That’s why one always read the following about G41 and G42:

G41 ==considered left of the contour in feed direction
    G42 == considered right of the contour in feed direction

If down-cutting and up-cutting comes out depends on the tools and their turning directions. And where the tool is turned, there is no down-cutting and up-cutting! On our wire cut machine (AGIE Classic 3S) the software surface only talked about right or left when having an open contour.

When I have a closed contour there are only matrix (internal contour) or stamp (external contour)