584,837 active members*
5,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Hello everybody
    I have a general question to the users.
    Multi-tasking has established itself as a term that is used for machines that are able to carry out several processing processes
    simultaneously. Especially turning and milling machine that include both technologies.

Now to my question:

Is multi-tasking machining rather a curse or a blessing for the user? What do you think about it?

I am looking forward to your answers.

Greetings
    Claudio Jans

Hello Claudio

There is no overall answer to your question. For single part processing or small series, I am sure these machines are fine. You can save additional machines and you can be sure that surfaces and/or drill holes run towards each other as you don’t have to unclamp.
    With large-volume productions, the whole thing looks different. First of all you can’t turn a turning machine into a milling machine (of course the other way around doesn’t work either).
    Secondly in order to produce the required number of parts, you would need to get quite a few of these machines.
    Here it’s often better to split the work sequences and to get the corresponding “experts” for it.

A turning machine has a relative unstable fixture compared to a milling machine which means you have to reduce the cutting data correspondingly. In return a milling machine can never achieve a finish quality like most turning machine can achieve nowadays.

Regards
    Michael

Well, I see it differently.
    Multi tasking machining for me are a turning- milling centres where the revolver is amended with a cutter spindle and also the tool holder are clamped into a HSK or similar adaptor.

I see considerable advantages regarding the clamping.
    Many parts are easier and more accurately processed in the clamping.
    And of course more quickly as time consuming devices are not needed.

I don’t think that it’s applicable for single part production.

Rather for small to large scale productions...

Here an example video what I mean by it:

http://www.chiron.de/fileadmin/videos/tech...n/01-Stange.ogv
    <b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->&#33;&#33; Mein alter Nickname: canon &#33;&#33;<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><br /><br />Beginnt man das System zu hinterfragen, so erkennt man deutlich, dass die „Wahrheit“ zumeist entgegengesetzt des scheinbaren zu finden ist.<br /><ul><li>Wenn wir uns heute keine Zeit für unsere Gesundheit nehmen, werden wir uns später viel Zeit für unsere Krankheiten nehmen müssen.</li><li>Wenn es klemmt - wende Gewalt an. Wenn es kaputt geht, hätte es sowieso erneuert werden müssen.</li></ul>