584,808 active members*
5,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > influence of heat on spindle bearing of a milling machine
    Hello everybody,

I am currently constructing the bearing for a drive spindle of a vertical milling machine.
    However I only want to use this machine for dry processing and as there will be relatively high temperatures I need to consider this fact in the construction.
    Can anybody help me: how do I take the thermal expansion into consideration or rather how high does it need to be??

Thanks a lot in advance

Hello,
    The thermal expansion is relative and it complies with the measurements, the storage and the outside conditions.
    Just to be simple I guess you are going to use a motor spindle. There you can only optimize the cooling system.
    Give us a bit more information then we can help you better.

Greetings

Hello,
    The thermal expansion is relative and it complies with the measurements, the storage and the outside conditions.
    Just to be simple I guess you are going to use a motor spindle. There you can only optimize the cooling system.
    Give us a bit more information then we can help you better.
    Greetings

Hello,
    Yes indeed, we will use a motor spindle.
    Given conditions:
    Engine speed max 12000 , driving power 4 KW, arbor diameter of the spindle 50mm, the transmission to the spindle should be done over a pulley( that’s also not up to date that method, isn’t it?).
    The bearing spacing is 200mm.

I am thinking about an lubricate the bearing with oil, in order to keep temperature low.

Greetings