585,676 active members*
5,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Tool regrinding: manufacture or grinding service?
    Hello community

Who has experience how reground tools differ from each other if they are ground a) by manufacturer or b) by grinding service?

Are there differences, especially in lifetime?

Regards,
    Thorsten
    Grüßle<br />nebbe

Hello!!

Yes, there’re differences for sure. The lifetime is not as in case of a new tool.
    Grinding by the manufacture is the best (certainly it’s more expensive).

You should try it once with two identical tools to see the difference.
    <!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Wenn<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ich<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->, in irgendeiner weise mit den Letzen Sätzen was ausgelöst habe was <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->dich<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--> oder <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->euch<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--> in Rage und Unwohl gebracht hatt, dann bitte <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ich<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--> um entschuldigung und ignorriert einfach die Sätze.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><br /><br /><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->M.f.G.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->kroate<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

It depends… I’ve also experienced cases when reground tools had held longer as new ones. And the regrinding wasn’t by the manufacturer. The company grinds also for some biggest firms in commission processing. The same tool ground by another firm held less than 1/3 of the original period.

It always depends of how much you’re going to pay. We spend a couple of euro more and receive then reground and recoated tools that hold really well. Sometimes also better as the original grinding.

Try that out.

Regards, general
    <b><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Gruß General<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><br /><br /><br /><br /><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Fräser sind Halbgötter in Blau.<br />Denn sie lassen durch Zerstörung Neues entstehen&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><br /><br /><br /><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Werbung in eigener Sache:</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><br /><i><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Enter the Matrix an feel the Moment &quot;<u>www.pixxelmatrix.de</u>&quot;<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>

I believe regrinding by the manufacturer is always the best solution. I, for example, have had the following experience with Pokolm-Voha. They usually regrind tools at the similar machines as during manufacturing. This way tools always get original coating.
    It costs more and takes more time. But you have then almost a new tool.