585,557 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > Laser CO2 Tubes, Diodes, RF and Power Supplies > problem with PSU wiring for 80W Reci CO2 tube - only getting 4 mA output to tube

problem with PSU wiring for 80W Reci CO2 tube - only getting 4 mA output to tube

I purchased an 80 W CO2 Reci laser and PSU from Cole Tech. I wired the PSU exactly by their instructions but I only get about 4 mA of current to the laser tube. The tube fires but the beam is weak. No matter how I wire up the PSU, I only get about 4 mA of current to the tube. I understand I should get up to 28 mA at full power. I have adjusted the little potentiometer on the PSU main board. It will vary the output current between 0 and 4 mA. I am using a 50 mA current meter. At first I could not get the tube to fire, but then I discovered that I must have coolant flowing through the tube. Nowhere in their instructions does it say this is a requirement just to test fire the laser...I have exchanged several emails with "Shirley" at Cole Tech but she is not very helpful. She only repeats the "standard" poorly written instructions from the PSU manufacturer. .... Does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong? I am an experienced retired engineer and project builder but I am new to lasers. I keep thinking there must be some "dumb" little mistake I am making (would not be the first time), but I have checked everything many times. .. For now, I would be glad to just get it working at full power without the external power adjusting pot... Maybe the PSU is bad? I have considered buying another PSU (from someone here in the States this time) but I thought I would ask here first..... Does anyone have a slightly used 80 PSU for sale and you can guide me through the installation? ..... Thanks for answers, suggestions, advice, etc....... Gene

Re: problem with PSU wiring for 80W Reci CO2 tube - only getting 4 mA output to tube

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Re: problem with PSU wiring for 80W Reci CO2 tube - only getting 4 mA output to tube

Die Youtube find the solution¿ I'm hacine the same problem
    Thanks for your reply

If you do not use water cooling the tube can BURN OUT in under 10 seconds, I have been using Reci for over 10 years and never had an issue with any of the tubes ranging from 80 to 150W, cole tech are usually very good and reliable, but I think you have damaged your tube.
    On the output end there is an aluminum cylindrical tube (electrode), a new tube will show this as shiny silver colour, what colour is your tube? as it gets hot it can change colour from pale straw, through orang, red, purple, to dark blue then slightly lighter blue, What colour is your tube showing