585,954 active members*
3,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Giant Etch-a-Sketch?

I know that there are some smart folk out there who may be able to help me.

I would like to build a 4'x8' to a 10'x10' Etch-a-sketch style device. (Basically just an xy axis device)

I might be jumping the gun in the question because I haven't actually taken an etch-a-sketch apart yet to see how exactly it works, but I think I could replicate it in the tolerances I need. (1/4" +/- would be nice).

The tricky part (for me) is bridging the gap between my computerized drawing and the rig itself.

If the etch-a-sketch thing throws anyone off, I just need to control coordinates in an x/y field.

superdeluxe

Build a router with all three axis programmable - you'd be hard pressed to tell the diff 'tween it an a etch-a-sketch on steroids.

By programming the depth of cut of Z, you can determine if you merely want to scratch the screen or cut right thru the darn thing.

Silly question, how do you plan on shaking a 10 by 10 foor etch a sketch

Can we assume you'll be using a pen rather than a router? It sounds like what you want could easily be done. Please give us more details.

Another reference to motorizing an Etch-A-Sketch http://taomc.com/process_overview.htm
    And his x y engraver can be found on this page. http://taomc.com/studio_machines.htm

Ideally a pen would be great. I don't need to route because I run a multicam router for the sign shop I work for. I would prefer to have something I could set up over a gymnasium floor or even temp mount to a wall because we have requests for hand painted sign jobs.

basically a big plotting machine on stationary media.

keeping it simple and light would be my ideal concerns, ideally all it would have to push around is a sharpie.

http://www.hektor.ch/

Meet Hektor, the simplest possible wall painting robot. Something like this might do for your purposes...

There are, of course, other possibilities...but this one has a certain elegant simplicity that I like.

-- Chuck Knight

Hektor could be modified to work on a gymnasium floor as well if all you're gonna push around is a Sharpie.

I have seen the Hektor machine and it's very impressive. Seems like a good idea. I think my engineering would be a little different but it is nice to see the variety of motion control some have built.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtonyicu View Post
    Silly question, how do you plan on shaking a 10 by 10 foor etch a sketch
    :rofl: Nice one lol
    Keith

who you gonna call, the jolly green giant?
    sorry, i just had to say it
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

You can read my post asking how to shake a 10 ft. etch-a-sketch at

http://www.iwillaskthatquestiontopeo.../etch-a-sketch

link didnt work
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

did you spell it correctly?

clicked directly on it in the post......