584,837 active members*
5,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 3D milling

Hello dear cutters,

We have a little problem with the cutting of 3D contours…
    We’ve worked in the 3D sector for 15 years. We program with Hypermill and Cimatron and we mill at 3 cover machines and at 4 AXAs. Now we added one 1000th Roeders and we are unsatisfied with it so far. The surfaces look terribly. The problem is that the machine has only minimum quantity lubrication and the cuttings stick everywhere due to oil and it makes louder the making of gutters. We’ve tried to use different strategies and milling cutters, but we can’t come to grips with it. At present we are milling surfaces at the old axa column milling machine spick and span. And the Roeders is staying besides…
    How do other factories handle the machines that don’t have cooling water? The manufacturers at the fairs always advertise such machines with mirror finished surfaces!
    Material is 1.2312 malleable and 1.2343 hardened (50HRC).

I ask for tips and tricks

Hello,

would it be worth a try only with air? No oil, no splicing.
    A valve into the switchgear cabinet and lay a tube to the mandrel. Gate it with M7 or with an available M-function. Ready.

You definitely had this Idea too.

Regards

Thomas

Hello

I agree.
    We mill something of that sort only “bone dry”. During roughing as well.

Enough air to blow the cuttings off and that’s it.

Well, I don’t know, what kind of cover machines you have. I’m acquainted with covers with max. 6000 rpm.
    If it is so, then you should step on the gas at the Roeders.

Regards
    Oldmartin

Well,
    At least for tough milling the minimum quantity lubrication is a blessing! But if so much oil condenses on the work piece, then it is too fat regulated. The most of cooling for the money is when the oil mist completely evaporates.

@spänesau: Roeders certainly have something like user consulting service that could help you immediately.

Clemens
    Clemens Henn<br>Freiform CAD/CAM-Dienste<br><br><br>CAD-Modelle<br>Fr

You have indeed regulated the lubrication not correct! Just open the lube case behind! There are two small knurled screws! (hope, that with your 1000 it’s similar as with our 6000). Rotate them a bit towards! Power the cooling up and keep the finger nails on both tubes. It’ll be enough, if you have a slight slick film in a couple of seconds.
    You could try to boost the compression as well. And turn the knurled screws further in order that you don’t get soup in the machine!
    And if you still have the trouble, then take the cutters that are idle after 1-2 mm! You never need more with HSC! With fine graphite pieces it is even a must, that the cutters quickly become free!
    Don’t you have cooling hoses at the spindle, where only air comes out? I have a couple of those with oil air and a couple only with air (for graphite)!

Roeders offer certainly strategy seminars! I wanted to go there, but my chief was too mean because Soltau is a long way from us!

Hi,
    I assume too that oil was too hefty regulated.
    In my old company we milled at a Roeders with Cimatron too. And we never had problems with it. Just try to regulate oil a bit, then it ought to come off. Is your “BAR” in the pressure line also hefty regulated?

Greetings 5XDMG

I can only join all of you. There’s just too much oil inside. If this minimal lube device has the same lug as a pneumatic oiler, then you should regulate it so that every 5th second a drop goes down.
    By the way, it doesn’t work completely dry, in my experience. The cutter gets very quickly broken in that case.

I’ve found out that it’s better for copper if there’s real soup on the electrode. Then there’re the best surfaces.
    With stole roughings I give a little more of oil. For smoothing a little of haze is enough.

@ spänesau
    What does the surface look like? As if you’ve milled soft aluminium without KSS?

Respects
    Potti
    Aus dem Chaos sprach eine Stimme „lächle und sei froh denn es könnte schlimmer kommen“ ich lächelte und war froh, und es kam schlimmer&#33;<br /><br />HyperMill_2013_HyperCAD 5X<br />HyperMill_2013_Inventor <br />Siemens 840D<br />iTnc530

Hi everybody!

As for oil, I can only assent to you.
    I use it only for non-ferrous metal.
    I often have hardness of 1.2343 at the machine. And I’ve made the best experience with air.

Regards

Hello,

We also are milling 1.2343 hardened to 50 HRC,but only with air.And the surface quality it's very good.We produce die casting molds.

Regards.