585,894 active members*
4,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Drilling > drill long hole CNC machine
    Hello

I have a question: I have to mill several slotted holes into a part.
    With 2,5 and 3,5 diameter and a length of 60-75mm
    The drill holes are not in the centre.

What must I do? First drill slowly with little feed and then faster when the drill is further in the material.
    I fear that the drill could break off in the first few mm with a chip length of almost 90mm.

Material is ETG 88.

Many thanks in advance

drill slottled holes??? Not in the centre??
    Is that new??

I think we dont talk about the same thing.
    Can you post a sketch. I dont know ETG88 but I mean I dont know everything.
    <b><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Gruß General<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><br /><br /><br /><br /><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Fräser sind Halbgötter in Blau.<br />Denn sie lassen durch Zerstörung Neues entstehen&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><br /><br /><br /><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Werbung in eigener Sache:</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><br /><i><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Enter the Matrix an feel the Moment &quot;<u>www.pixxelmatrix.de</u>&quot;<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>

drill slottled holes??? Not in the centre??
    Is that new??

I think we dont talk about the same thing.
    Can you post a sketch. I dont know ETG88 but I mean I dont know everything.

Of course that works, with powered tool holders

Hello
    @ IceWind007
    Maybe you mean deep holes drilling? That would fit better with your other statements. Elongated holes in the metal processing don’t mean drilling- it means something completely different.

Maybe you can proceed like this:
    Quickly pre-drill with your drill, about 2-3xD. Afterwards run with your long drill with reduced turning speed into the pilot hole.
    When pulling out reduce the speed again to avoid to “beat” the cutting edges.
    If an inner cooling solution is in place then you can mill in one go.
    Otherwise release but don’t drive out of the drill hole.

Regards Gerd